Favorite Dessert Protein Bar Low in Cals?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
So here's my mission: I have until Valentine's Day to find a delicious protein bar that's reasonable in calories (maybe 160-210?), and is delicious! I thought it would be a nice surprise for my mother since she has started her diet and has a lot to lose.
She currently eats the Chocolate Mint bars by LA Weight Loss and is OBSESSED (I tried one today and now see why), but it has partially hydrogenated oil and a thousand other questionable ingredients. I'm on a mission to find a healthier bar that still tastes like dessert to her and has good nutrition, so she has more of a variety.
Be warned though, she is EXTREMELY picky. It can't have any aftertastes, or a noticeable whey protein taste some bars have. She LOVES chocolate mint anything just about!
I tried a Quest Chocolate Brownie bar, but it was just SO much chocolate, a bit bland, and they had no mint flavors! D:
I need help please!
What are your favorite protein bars? What flavors? What's the calories and where do you usually purchase them?
I really think Quest has interesting flavors, I just don't feel like paying over $2 for each flavor to "maybe" like it :/ so I need ABSOLUTE FAVORITES.
Thanks!

Replies

• flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Think Thin bars are good! It looks like they have a Think Thin Indulgence Chocolate Mint Coconut bar, but not sure of the calories. Their protein bars are great (in my opinion) but are a bit higher in calories.

How much protein per bar are you thinking?

Good luck!
  • peacewi
    peacewi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day trying a Luna bar, nuts over chocolate. It had 180 calories and tons of vitamins...delicious!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Check these out...I have the chocolate and maple & pecan flavours which are delicious http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/mp-max-elle-virtue-bar/10530545.html

And less than 100 calories!!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars.

Worth the money for a quality product. Buy in a 12 pack, it's cheaper.
  • hgycta
    Options
    Jkwolly, what flavor Quest Bar would you recommend?

Thank you so much everyone for your help, by the way! I have a lot to try!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you want healthier your only option is pretty much Quest I think. All the others have questionable ingredients (even though some are delicious).
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I love the Quest bars I eat one every day.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Quest bars for sure. Maybe buy her a variety box (amazon has them) so she can see what she likes.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel about not wanting to spend the money on quest bars, but it was the best decision i made. i only made it about 3 days ago but im already in love. my GNC has a buy 3 get 1 free for all protein bars (apparently its always available so yay), that lowers the price a bit, and ive realized they have coupons available really often. i just found one thats 10$ off a purchase of 20$ or more, i wish i used it when i bought them! but it makes it possible for me to get a lot of bars for a decent price. havent bought a box yet because im experimenting flavours but yeah. i might get a membership too because it lowers the price too but we'll see!
  • knjm4v
    knjm4v Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I buy the Pure Protein chocolate deluxe bars, 190 calories, 20 grams protein. Power Crunch has a chocolate mint bar that is really good. 205 calories, high in protein also. they are yummy. I love chocolate mint too..
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Jkwolly, what flavor Quest Bar would you recommend?

Thank you so much everyone for your help, by the way! I have a lot to try!!!
    It depends on what flavours she likes. Popular ones are:
    White Chocolate Raspberry
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
    Cashew Coconut
    Chocolate Peanut Butter
    Cinnamon Roll
    Cookies and Cream (brand new one)
  • jkwolly
    Options
    I love the Quest bars I eat one every day.
    Me too! With a scoop of peanut butter on top after I heat it up and it melts soooooooooo good! :love:
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Quest bars. Double chocolate chunk
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like Pure bars, specially the new Ancient Grains Quinoa one.
  • hgycta
    Options
    Well I officially blew just under $40 on protein bars today xD Bought one of every Quest bar flavor (except for Cookies & Cream, which they didn't have - BOO), and a few others :) Can't wait to try them!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    quest bars are awesome!!!

If you like chocolate the double chocolate chunk is awesome.

I'm a big fan of the banana nut muffin and cinnamon roll.
  • iceeleven
    Options
    I got a Balance bar the other day - Chocolate Mint Cookie Crunch. It was really good. Like good enough that I might even choose it over a candy bar.

bar_gold_chocolate_mint_cookie_crunch_detail.png

Doesn't it look yummy?
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster, I would buy her a sample variety box (Quest Nutrition.com) and then make a 'bouquet" out of them with tissue paper and place in a cute vase.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy answered here (sorry if someone's said it)- make your own and freeze individual bars. You know exactly what's going into them rather than a list of unknown junk. The amount is limited because you have to take one out to defrost and you can add protein powder to make them filling :)
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Okay, I've tried several different Protein Bars out there. The biggest bang for the buck (protein wise) is Quest. For good flavors in my opinion (unfortunately no mint) Cookies and Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and I really like the Apple Pie. I also like the Double Chocolate Chunk. I've heard that the Coconut Cashew is really good too.

I do like the Think Thin bars. And I also love Luna bars (they have a peppermint chocolate one that's pretty good). Current favorite for Luna Bars is the Chocolate Dipped Coconut.

Just my recommendations, take it or leave it. :-)