How long should I be running?

Options
Hey guys!
So I was just wondering how long I should be running to lose 15 pounds. I'm 18 years old, 5'4" and I currently weight between 125-129. I know that's an average weight but I still have a fat stomach and thighs. How many miles should I run a day? I run 1 mile a day right now and consume no more than 1400 calories. I usually make sure my net calories are at 1200.
Please help!
Thanks you!!

Replies

• RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Running three to four times a week is enough. Run however long or whatever distance you want. You are doing just fine as is but I would think about maybe signing up for a 5k or something. Also, doing some kind of strength training (even yoga or just body weight stuff) would be good to do a couple days each week. Try to give yourself at least on rest day each week too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    So I was just wondering how long I should be running to lose 15 pounds. I'm 18 years old, 5'4" and I currently weight between 125-129. I know that's an average weight but I still have a fat stomach and thighs. How many miles should I run a day? I run 1 mile a day right now and consume no more than 1400 calories. I usually make sure my net calories are at 1200.
    Please help!
    Thanks you!!
    You should run as long and as often as you want to. You can run for miles and miles, but if you eat at a surplus you will not lose weight.

How much weight are you trying to lose? You are in the normal weight range. Have you thought of weight lifting for body composition instead?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You could run zero minutes a week and lose 15 pounds.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    Please help!
    Thanks you!!
    You should run as long and as often as you want to. You can run for miles and miles, but if you eat at a surplus you will not lose weight.

How much weight are you trying to lose? You are in the normal weight range. Have you thought of weight lifting for body composition instead?

^^This. Run for fitness and because you like it. If you think you need to run to lose weight, you don't.

Consider strength training if you're in a normal weight range and simply don't feel "toned" in places. Strength training, especially weightlifting, will help you change your body composition and get the look you want.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Running is for fitness. Calorie deficit is for the 15 lbs.

I would set your goal to 0.5-1lb a week and run however many miles you feel like but keep your net calories on target.