Really? 10 lbs in 2 wks?

Options
Is this even possible or healthy? I was reading that another member lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks; just starting out. I mean, if it's not a bad thing, I'm game. Has anyone else been this successful or is this water weight and such.

I'm new to the forum and weight loss.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Depending on the weight you are starting at, you can lose 10 pounds in two weeks.

Or you may lose two or three.

Usually 10 pounds would be water weight, due to change in diet and exercise. Don't count on it being anything other than that.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    possible - not a real weight loss as such but fluctuation.
    Water, muscles are the first ones hit - limited fat if any.
    All depends on what you eat or don't eat. Carbs crashing will give you this sort of results + remove any salt and deal is done.

However... ballooning effect - loose 10 lbs in 1 weeks gain all of them back in 1 day.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm starting at 185. I'm 5'6"
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Entirely possible - glycogen stores.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Large drops in weight are common when first starting, water weight loss from lower sodium, less gutfill from eating less, glycogen stores depleating; they probably only lost 1 or 2 lbs of actual fat if any. It is not a bad thing, but don't expect it to continue at that rate.
  • 4MissRose
    Options
    Yes, it's basically water weight.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've just started (on my third week) -- lost about 3 kilos (6ish pounds) REALLY quickly and now it's settled down to just over a kilo per week (the target I set in 'goals', roughly 2 pounds). So I'm guessing the first bit was all water weight, etc!
  • emmaelisenl
    emmaelisenl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 5 pounfs in 8 days so far. I imagine it will stop going as fast soon.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did (in a little over two weeks) but then nothing for the next two. I'm projecting (hoping for) one pound a week from now on.

Edit: I had also gained 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so while it was lovely to have it happen, it was just a lot of bloat from all the excess.
  • KimiSteinbach
    Options
    Ok then because I'm reading that 3500 calories make up one lb. and I guess that would mean that you had a "35,000 calorie deficit." I guess that's impossible.
  • KimiSteinbach
    Options
    I did (in a little over two weeks) but then nothing for the next two. I'm projecting (hoping for) one pound a week from now on.

Edit: I had also gained 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so while it was lovely to have it happen, it was just a lot of bloat from all the excess.

This seems to be the glycogen stores and bloat the other members are talking about. Oh well. Good luck on your continued weight loss.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I dropped 7lbs in 2 weeks. I expect it to slow once the water weight etc is done coming off.
    I'm 5'6" sw: 246 so I am starting out pretty heavy.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

This seems to be the glycogen stores and bloat the other members are talking about. Oh well. Good luck on your continued weight loss.

Correct. Losing weight does not necessarily mean losing fat. However, it's a nice thing to have happen in the beginning, because bloat DOES add inches.
  • KimiSteinbach
    Options

Correct. Losing weight does not necessarily mean losing fat. However, it's a nice thing to have happen in the beginning, because bloat DOES add inches.

I'm going to take this slow because I've heard that the slower it comes off, the more it'll stick. I'm trying to be patient with myself. I just can't go around looking and feeling like I do anymore.
  • cindyeagleshamdehaan
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs the first 12 days and then weight really slowed down to the projectected lb a week.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Is this even possible or healthy? I was reading that another member lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks; just starting out. I mean, if it's not a bad thing, I'm game. Has anyone else been this successful or is this water weight and such.

Yes ... but it slows down trust me I know :) I lost 10 lbs first two weeks and haven't budged now for a couple. But I also haven't gained it back either - there were other mitigating factors to my stall also (stress eating, TOM, etc) but coming on to log every day keeps me in line whereas before I would have just thrown my arms in the air and said "f it!"
  • KimiSteinbach
    Options

Yes ... but it slows down trust me I know :) I lost 10 lbs first two weeks and haven't budged now for a couple. But I also haven't gained it back either - there were other mitigating factors to my stall also (stress eating, TOM, etc) but coming on to log every day keeps me in line whereas before I would have just thrown my arms in the air and said "f it!"

Awwww, good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'd say too it happens more with people who have a lot to lose. I started out with the highest the scale would say being 249 and between that and what the lowest the scale says now is more than a 10 lb change (though it's been more than 2 weeks) but it was a big change in numbers relatively quick. A big part of that is the daily fluctuations in weight too. I am sure it could be an 8 lb change if I gulped enough water then immediately got on the scale! Also 249 is quite high for me as I am only 5'4" or so.

I know for me too if it's "new" weight (i.e. my weight goes "up" by 5 or so pounds in matter of weeks) then that is something that tends to disappear fairly quick-presumably because it is water or whatever but not actual body mass.

I just try not to get too caught up in the scale numbers- mine or anyone else's as sometimes they just don't make sense. What I DO know for sure is that if I continue to eat 3,000-5,000 calories a day (or more!) I will continue to slowly put on weight. So the only answer is to eat less, no matter when the weight loss comes and/or how slowly it comes- it will come if I can get the food in the right spot!