Why do I feel sick so soon after starting my diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    This applies to people living in a bomb calorimeter.
    If we were to come up with an absolute mathematical equation to fat loss, it would cover 20 pages and have such a wide margin of error.
    Toss the 3500cals=1lb lost per week because it simply isn't true.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you where eating 3000 cals, try cutting down to 2500-2000 max but eat whole foods with minimal healthy carbs. Your body needs
    your cals for fuel so make sure its quality food, nothing pre-packaged or processed and you'll feel more energy and get the results you are looking for. At 1200 cals your body will go in starvation mode and it will hold on to fat instead of burning it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Today, on the third day of my new diet, I've started to feel really sick. I feel quite lightheaded, even though I did eat a fairly large lunch 5 hours ago.
    5 hours ago? Its quite normal to be hungry again 5 or 6 hours after you've last eaten....
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I started I ate about 6 small meals a day and I ate a huge amount of fibers: I bought Konjac noodles and ate them like normal noodles. They are filling and have practically no calories (They do have some and I logged them, but my point is that they make you full without having many cals). I was fine with that. However if you aren't then try to eat for maintenance for a week until your body got used to eating less calories and then reduce the calories again to 1200 cals or something between maintenance and 1200. If you eat between 1200 and your maintenance calorie needs you will still lose - it only takes longer. But if your beat, but my body can't handle 1200 calories then you have to accept that you have to eat more and lose more slowly.
    The most important thing I learned when it came to diets and sports is that I have to listen to my body: If I want to eat, body my body doesn't tell me I have to than I don't eat. If I want to lose faster, but my body shows me that I need more calories then I eat. I then check if I eat fulling food that doesn't cause blood sugar spikes and if I sleep enough. If my nutrition is not very well or don't get enough sleep, I change that. If those things are okay and I still need more food then I eat more food.
    That's what worked for me. It is the first time that I try to lose weight like this way, but I feel better than ever.
    I wish you good luck!
  • nikkiofthelake
    Options
    Your profile says you are 20 years old. I would up your calories to 1500. Maybe you should also go to the doctor and have some blood work done.
  • Rowan63
    Options
    Hi,
    as others have already said, the cut down on calories is a little drastic and your body is protesting.
    Gradual changes in eating habits and reducing the portions is what should be done instead of going on drastic diets.
    I was 98 kg 2 years ago, and went to a dietitian,. I have always been conscious about the quality of food I eat - mainly wholegrain, always prepared from scratch, the yearly the number of sodas that pass my lips can be counted on the fingers of one hand, I prefer dark chocolate to milk one, but I just used to eat far too much of the good stuff...
    I lost 8 kg in one year, and I know that seems so slow, but it is the only way I found that works for me and I haven't put on more weight since - the "calorie deficit" was only about 200 cal a day : I was eating 1800 cal, and since I am moderately active that was enough.
    And it is what I am going to do again,(and why I decided to join MFP :) trying to increase the exercise but without feeling food deprived.

The other very good advice I got from the dietitian was to eat something at regular intervals: basically have a snack about 3 hours after your meals. No hunger pangs and more balanced blood sugar levels.

This is an interesting talk - that can help understand why so many people put on weight after having lost a lot of it in a short period of time...
    http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work.html

All the best and keep up the motivation!