Any supplements/pills that work?

Options
Hey all,
I am doing my best to do this right, keep my calories under my limit and maybe even get some exercise in, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in adding any sort of diet pills/supplements to their dieting? I take medicines for my asthma, allergies, and thyroid, so I like to stick to natural things. Right now I am taking natural energy pills, and they seem to help a little, but I wondered if there was anything that would help the weight come off? Thanks (:

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Only thing they help in is shrinking your wallet. I take prescriptions for severe asthma and allergies as well, and all you need to do is find a reasonable calorie deficit. log everything, and have patience. Also if you are taking prednisone for your asthma you will need to remember that does cause water retention and makes it slightly slower to drop the weight but you can. I lost most of my 96 lbs while on a daily dose of it, but now that I have lost a lot I no longer need that, and have dropped to half doses on most of the other things. So stick with it.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Given that you are on on various medications for a range of medical issues, do you really think that a diet pill (regardless of how natural) is the best thing to be taking? If your photo is current, it looks like you may already be in a healthy weight range, maybe its time not to cut calories, eat healthy and focus on the exercise?

If your photo isn't current...what is your current weight, goal weight and height?
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts above, don't do it. 'Natural' pills can still cause you a lot of problems, perhaps even more so because there is nobody who is prescribing you the pills who can check that what is in them isn't going to react badly with your current medications.

There really is no need, particularly so if your profile pic is a current photo.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Garcinia cambogia, 100% natural and make sure it has at least 50% HCA (hydroxycitic acid, fat burner). Take an hour before eating and it not only suppresses your appetite but it curves your sugar cravings, but even better the sugar/carbs you do eat are turned into energy instead of being stored as fat. When I hit a plateau and wasn't losing anymore, after taking these I started losing again. I got mine from GNC but there are a lot of fake products out there.. if they say 100% natural and have the HCA in them, you're good to go. No side effects, but research it to see if there's restrictions
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    All diet pills work!!!

They make you lighter because of all the cash your taking out of your pocket...

Also most of them have some pretty simple and solid recommendations printed right on the bottle; ( For best results, use along with a sensible diet and exercise plan...) :huh:

But if you really want to go "natural", skip the pills, that don't do anything in the first place, and follow the advice printed on the side... :drinker:
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    All diet pills work!!!

They make you lighter because of all the cash your taking out of your pocket...

Also most of them have some pretty simple and solid recommendations printed right on the bottle; ( For best results, use along with a sensible diet and exercise plan...) :huh:

But if you really want to go "natural", skip the pills, that don't do anything in the first place, and follow the advice printed on the side... :drinker:

BEST advice i've read yet.
  • joshlawrence737
    Options
    Caffeine and green tea extract combinations have been shown to work provided that your diet and exercise are on track. Some recent studies have raised some concerns about the safety of green tea though so you may want to consider that. Also, keep in mind that such methods work by increasing your heart rate so there is - as always - a cost.

Caffeine works, green tea extracts work because they also contain caffeine. The only supplements that are going to work will contain caffeine. Think about it this way, if it truly works it won't be sold OTC as a herbal supplement, it will be marketed as a drug. Prescription drugs work, herbal supplements and OTC supplements do not. And if it DOES work and is an OTC supplement, soon it will be illegal, such as Jack3D.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Please don't use pills....eat right and exercise....that's all you need to do to have a healthy weight that you can maintain with real food and be happy with. Please take care because your body already has meds in it and those take a toll on your system so be kind to it with your diet and exercise :)
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Caffeine and green tea extract combinations have been shown to work provided that your diet and exercise are on track. Some recent studies have raised some concerns about the safety of green tea though so you may want to consider that. Also, keep in mind that such methods work by increasing your heart rate so there is - as always - a cost.

The first sentence of your reply kind of proves what I was saying "provided that your diet and exercise are on track"

Wouldn't you get the same benefit without the caffeine and green tea if, "your diet and exercise are on track"?

OP, skip the pills.

As far as supplements go, protein powder is good if you find it hard to get enough protein in your regular diet. And maybe vitamins if ,again, you find it hard to get certain vitamins in your regular diet. But for weight loss there is no "magic bullet" only hard work and persistence...

Good luck...
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    No, especially if you have thyroid problems, stay away from them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The pills that actually work are illegal, unless you are a small child with a lot of energy. Then they are perfectly safe.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with other posts - diet pills only makes numbers decrease on your bank statement, not on the scales!! There is no quick fix when it comes to diet/weight loss (I learned that the hard way!). If you're serious about leading a healthier lifestyle, regardless of your ultimate goal (e.g. weight loss, lean muscle gain, etc.) you should focus on eating and exercising your muscles. It is all a matter of changing your lifestyle - that's what makes all your hard work worth it and makes it sustainable. All these 'quick fixes' and fad diets will only work in the short term, if at all. The only supplement I would suggest taking (if any) would be whey/soy protein to meet your protein requirements. I have started taking Whey Isolate from myprotein.com after each workout and seeing great results after a short period of time.
  • tashamoulds
    Options
    You can try cinnamon supplements. They help control blood sugar and speed up metabolism (which help in maintaining/losing weight.). They are also anti-inflammatory and they boost the immune system. You still have to eat right and exercise but the pills help give you a boost with out you having to eat a **** ton of cinnamon

(I know they work because I used them, lost weight and it helps control my blood sugar issues and I don't get sick as often as I used to.)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You can try cinnamon supplements. They help control blood sugar and speed up metabolism (which help in maintaining/losing weight.). They are also anti-inflammatory and they boost the immune system. You still have to eat right and exercise but the pills help give you a boost with out you having to eat a **** ton of cinnamon

(I know they work because I used them, lost weight and it helps control my blood sugar issues and I don't get sick as often as I used to.)

Are you diabetic? There is some precursory study showing potential to help regulate blood glucose, but metabolism? Nyet!
  • ccole1009
    Options
    thanks guys, I pretty much knew that answer but needed to hear it myself :P as for my pic, I really need to change it. that is more of a goal pic for me, because i don't have any good current pics of myself. i'm at about 187lbs, with a goal weight of 130 (which was the pic). Thanks for the advise everyone :)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, I pretty much knew that answer but needed to hear it myself :P as for my pic, I really need to change it. that is more of a goal pic for me, because i don't have any good current pics of myself. i'm at about 187lbs, with a goal weight of 130 (which was the pic). Thanks for the advise everyone :)

Ahhh! OK :)