Nike+ GPS iPhone App

cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anybody tried this?

I just bought it for $1.99, but it was AFTER I got back from my run. :ohwell:

I read Engadget's review and it sounds like it will be really useful. I've been toying with the idea of getting the foot pod for my Polar FT60, but not really wanting to spend the money. I've got a 10k coming up in a little over a week, and I'd like something that can tell me my current speed and distance. Hopefully this will do the trick.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/app-review-nike-gps/

Replies

• cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Well, I just took it out for a little walk and it's pretty nice. The GPS is a little spotty, but the voice feedback is great. It told me when i had reached certain time, and distance milestones as they happened. Even better, it didn't interfere with my Rhapsody app, so I was able to stream my playlist over 3G without any interference. When it gave me voice feedback, it lowered the volume of my music, so the two were not competing.

Here's a screenshot of the Nike+ website interface:
    nike.jpg

The route line looks like it was drawn by my 3yr old ...

Here is my same route mapped out at walkjogrun.net:
    wjr.jpg

The difference is only one tenth of a mile, but it was a short walk. I have a feeling it might do better with longer and straighter paths. It's also overcast today, so that might be affecting the gps. A feature to edit my route on their website would be handy, though I didn't see any option to do that.

All in all though, I'm pretty satisfied.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    I love it. I have the sensor and the GPS app and honestly the GPS app is more accurate for me than the sensor.

kewkdb at gmail dot com if you want to add me as a friend on nikeplus.com
  • I found the GPS app a bit ****ty for me on the treadmill. I don't have any way to use it as an accelerometer yet. (I have an armband coming in the mail). but I still think calibrating the Nike+ sensor to the treadmill is working better for me in that respect.

Mind you, I used the GPS app on my outside walks, my speed was no where near what I had tried to calibrate my sensor to, so for outdoors DEFINITELY the GPS and for indoors on a treadmill that you can calibrate too, definitely the sensor.

I am glad I have both on my iphone now.
This discussion has been closed.