What the HECK!!?

Options
I got on scale today (normal day to weigh is Friday) cuz I was feeling lighter and it said I GAINED A POUND! WHAT THE HECK!?! I been eating 850-1200 calories a day, leaving one day to splurge. And walking 2-2.5 miles (with 5 lbs of ankle weights) 3-5 days a week. Most of my calories coming from protein. Very frustrated! :'( ANY HELP Is welcome.

Replies

• spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Normal weight fluctuates. It it's getting toward your TOM you'll retain more water. I jumped two pounds in a day earlier this week. It's coming back off. You need to be patient.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I got on scale today (normal day to weigh is Friday) cuz I was feeling lighter and it said I GAINED A POUND! WHAT THE HECK!?! I been eating 850-1200 calories a day, leaving one day to splurge. And walking 2-2.5 miles (with 5 lbs of ankle weights) 3-5 days a week. Most of my calories coming from protein. Very frustrated! :'( ANY HELP Is welcome.

My weight will fluctuate 1-3 pounds a couple of times a week. Diet, hormones, muscle damage from exercise, are all things that can cause water rentention that can increase weight a pound or two. Just wait a couple of days, it will go back down. Unless you ate 3,500 extra calories in one day, you didn't gain a pound of fat.
  • sway1080
    sway1080 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Happens to me sometimes. It's most likely not 1 pound of fat...1 pound is nothing, I can gain 1 pound from drinking my morning tea and lose 1 pound from going to the bathroom lol. Which is why soon after I started my journey I only weight myself once a week 2 weeks a month. The there is 1 week before my time of the month and then during that I don't because I can gain up to 5 lbs which always falls off the following week.
    Don't be frustrated just keep going, your always gong to flucuated no matter what :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    850 calories per day isn't going to do any wonders for your health or your metabolism.
    ^This. You'll have more sustainable long-term success by eating in a way you can maintain over the long haul, rather than treating a diet as something you can 'finish,' and particularly 'finish quickly.'
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Unless your food tracking is way off (do you measure/weigh?), it's very likely water weight as already mentioned. High sodium intake (coupled with not enough water/potassium), monthly hormone cycle and even an uptake in workout intensity can bring this on very easily. And you'll likely see these fluctuations more as you get closer to goal so it's best to learn why they happen and make peace with them.

P.S. Ankle weights are a tricky thing...be careful with using those as they can cause joint damage. Definitely don't wear them if you decide to get into running.
  • ShariTho1
    ShariTho1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Thank u all soo much. I just needed some encouragement...Thanx!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    And walking 2-2.5 miles (with 5 lbs of ankle weights) 3-5 days a week.

That's not a good idea. Ankle weights change your stride and may give you problems with knees or ankles. If you want to carry extra weight as part of your workout, do it with a weighted vest or backpack.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Totally normal fluctuation.

And 850 calories is not nearly enough fuel. Eat your calories, and remember that goal means GOAL - something to attain, strive for, reach, not a number you want to fall well short of, especially at 1200 cals.

tumblr_man06esc9g1rwr0kz.gif