Job interview tips

Options
arwacky
arwacky Posts: 1,653
I am super nervous!!! I have a job interview in 5 hours and wondering if you guys had tips for me. I'll show you the suit I'm wearing once I'm ready and how should I do my hair?? Hair in a pony tail or like my current profile pic? Any tips appreciated. Thanks!!! :smile:

Replies

• JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hair as it is done in current picture is good. Ponytails are for working out and cleaning the cat box (Old HR Manager use to say that)...

As for tips:
    - Relax and don't forget to breathe.
    - They want you otherwise you wouldn't be there, take that into account to help the nerves
    - If they offer you coffee, turn it down. Water is okay
    - Speak clearly
    - Take the time to formulate your response to the questions. If they provide you with a notepad, write it out first to get it in place before you answer.
    - Make eye contact with the person, or if in a panel interview, share the looks with everyone at the table equally. Start with who asked the question and finish with that same person.
    - Turn your phone OFF
    - Finally, make sure you have good questions to ask them afterwards when they invite it. I find good questions to ask are:
    - How long is the training and what is involved
    - Rate of pay (If it's not been discussed)
    - Ask about their structure towards advancement. Is it a given position based on time, or is it based on internal postings and application
    - I always loved to to be asked what our Mission Statement was.

Above all... Breathe, don't forget to breathe
  • JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Forgot one more thing...

If they ask 'out of the box' questions... They aren't always looking for the "right" answer, but how it is answered. There are so many of these that I couldn't list them all.
  • arwacky
    Options
    I'm planning on bringing a padfolio. I'll be writing notes on that. I wrote out my questions for them already and it includes a lot of those that you stated. (Like 8 questions I thought would be sufficient.)

I was planning on writing the mission statement from the website (it's a hospital job) and keeping it on me because I can refer to it for a "why do you think you would be a good fit for us?" question along with some facts about the hospital.

I was told to expect to be there for 4 hours!! I'm gonna be so tired by the time they're finished with me. Hahaha!!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to ask for the job! If you want it that is.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    As an ex-recruiter....

Be honest. Have specific examples of what you did, what importance that had to the project/problem, how you specifically did X to achieve Y. Don't be fluffy.

Also, absolutely try to close them at the end. What's the next step? Shall we book in the next meeting? Obviously try not to sound like a douche, but by all means get the close. You'll walk out knowing if you got it or not and won't have that horrible wait.

Oh, and if you're using a recruiter, call them as soon as you get out of the interview.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Hair as it is done in current picture is good. Ponytails are for working out and cleaning the cat box (Old HR Manager use to say that)...

As for tips:

- Take the time to formulate your response to the questions. If they provide you with a notepad, write it out first to get it in place before you answer.

Above all... Breathe, don't forget to breathe

All of the tips were good, but I usually bring a notepad. I take notes when they tell me about the job. I have my questions already written down in that notepad. Because that shows I was thinking about it before the interview, and I don't forget my questions, which could happen since you are already nervous. And then I write down their answers to those questions.

I have had people tell me that this has been something they like about my interviews.
  • arwacky
    Options
    ^^^ already doing that. :)

Thank you everyone for the tips so far!!! I was told I'm meeting A LOT of managers..how do I get their contact info so I can write thank yous after?? Should I ask all of them for a business card?
  • TheSwollMinister
    TheSwollMinister Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    * Let recruiters know you consider partying to be a career of its own.
    * Tell them you’d like an office right by the front door so you can get out at 5 o’clock in a big, big hurry.
    * Ask politely about their attitude toward Monday and Friday absenteeism.
    * Let them know you’d like to start next month but would like to be paid immediately.

--George Carlin
  • arwacky
    Options
    If only we could make that happen.. Lol!
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your appearance, body language and facial expression can help make or break the deal. If you need to please an entire panel, it's like trying to convince a jury to keep you from going to prison. Sit on the edge of your seat with good posture, smile and give off a good vibe. (Sounds exhausting to be in a 4-hour interview.)
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Make it a conversation. Make small talk when you enter the room. If it is somoene's office, look for something personal (pictures, plaques, trophies) and ask the interviewr about it. This will change the tone a bit from a Q&A session to a conversation.
    At the end of the interview, ask what the next steps are--unless already covered. Get names of the interviewers and send them a thank you note--put it in the mail today. Put something specific in the note from the interview.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you're meeting a lot of different people, you might want to ask each one only a few questions. If you ask them all the exact same questions, it'll become tedious for you but also for them when they compare notes afterwards!

Smile, make eye contact, have good energy, and express your interest in the job when it's over. If it's a hospital position, I might suggest wearing your hair half back or at least pinned away from your face. If you have any writing samples or projects that are pertinent to the job or show your experience, bring those and leave them with the managers at the end. Always have extra copies of your resume on hand.

Think of thoughtful, out of the box responses to some common (and annoying) questions:
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    - What is your biggest weakness? Strength?
    - How would you describe your last boss?
    - What was a weakness of your last boss?
    - Describe a mistake you once made and how you dealt with it.

I've been asked all of those, and some are a little strange so it's good to be prepared! Try not to give a rehearsed answer, though.

GOOD LUCK!
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    And I know it was mentioned and is obvious, but thank you notes are a MUST!! To EVERYONE who interviewed you! Thank yous are a great way to restate why you think you'd be a good fit for the job while also reminding them of your interview. You can mail them if you want, but with today's crazy world an email will also suffice. Email them the following day, and send each person their own unique email.

I once got a job and my manager told me it was very close between me and another person, but I was the only one who had sent a thank you. The little things count :)
  • pmm76
    pmm76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Have a few stories/examples ready. Many interview questions start out by saying "Tell us about a time that you......."

If you aren't ready for that, it could leave you scrambling. It's probably a good idea to have some examples of things that you have done that have turned out really well AND things that haven't gone as well (and how those experiences have helped you grow professionally).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I second the Thank You notes.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    As a manager who's interviewed and hired.

Relax, give honest answers. There're people who try to answer with obviously memorized things, it comes off as phony.
    Take an interest in the job itself. Ask about what you'll be required to do, who you'll be working with, what their first expectations would be from you, etc.
    Don't lie to make yourself look better, just reinforce your strengths. For some reason people don't think managers are willing and able to train a person if they think there's potential. If you get caught sounding like you lied, they won't call you on it they'll just chuck your cv in the trash the moment you leave.

Good luck!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Research the company beforehead. Check out their website and maybe Google them to see whats going on with them. Wow those giving the interview with little nuggets you have learned through research such as, "I see you just opened another branch in Phoenix, AZ and added 200 new employees, thats really impressive."
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you note within 24 hours of the interview. (via email)
    88% of employers says this increases your chances of receiving the position.
    1. Express your appreciation for the opportunity to interview with them.
    2. Reference topics discussed.
    3. Reinforce your interest and restate your value. Emphasize that you are the ideal candidate for this job!

Be sure and ask for business cards from each person you interview with...this will give you correct spelling of name, title, email address and phone number. Send an individual thank you to each person if more than one.

Be sure and research the company...they almost ALWAYS ASK "What do you know about your company".
    1. Know their products and their mission
    2. How long have they been around.
    3. Who are their customers...or if hospital (demographic).
    4. Who are their competitors.

Also, when you answer "Why do you want to work here?" Make sure you show some type of passion or excitement for who they are and what they do!

GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know.
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh...our employers tell us the NUMBER ONE thing they are looking for is a good "fit". They want to work next to/with someone who they like. So show personality and a PROFESSIONAL sense of humor. Smile, be engaged and make them like you!!!!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dont tell the interviewer you fancy him/her....