Question about exercise vs heart rate…

Options
I’m not sure of the best way to approach this so I figured that I would ask the professionals.
When I’m on a treadmill or stationary bike should I strive to keep my heart rate up or is it best to run it up to the max and then slow it down and then run it back up again?
The reason for my question is that the stationary bike I’m using has a variety of preset modes that you can choose from cross country to road course to weight loss etc… the weight loss mode tracks your heart rate and then through resistance runs it up to your preset max and then slows it back down. So it got me to thinking, is running your heart rate up and down better for weight loss or is it just something that they do because they figure us fat guys need a break? LoL

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If all I'm doing is trying to burn calories, then I set it on one speed and zone out for 45 minutes. But that works for me. The fast/slow cycles make the workout seem longer to me. Zoning out helps me not hate my runs. For me, increasing then decreasing speed helps build overall speed and endurance over time.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just like the stationary bike, most treadmills offer differing types of programs. The "Hill" program and "Random Hill" programs are good places to start. Some advanced programs involve speed intervals, which you can manually set to your liking and skill level. Exercise over no exercise is always the best way to start. Once you become more proficient at the treadmill, you can try more advanced exercises.

You will burn calories just for moving. When your endurance picks up, you can get to zone training, which kind of answers the question that you asked. The treadmill, and heart rate monitor wrapped around your chest, can raise your heart rate up and down to get the maximum burning of calories for the program. However, I would wait a few months before trying them. I think I waited nearly 6 months before giving these programs a try.

Good luck!!!