Time between workouts

Options
Generally I hear that you should wait 48 hours to let your muscles recover.

If they're still sore after 48 hours is it okay to work them? or will this be counter productive?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You can work different muscles
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It depends on the kind of workout, if you are weight lifting and stressing the muscle a good bit then you should wait. Cardio type things I don't think you need to worry about waiting unless you are really doing a hard training workout. If you are really sore then a light workout will help get rid of it, warms your muscles up and stretches them out.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I'm trying to follow a program (Jamie Eason's LiveFit) and the muscles are split up by at least 2 days. So Monday was a leg day and tomorrow is a leg day. I suppose the program assumes that your muscles would have had enough time to recover, but it seems as though all my time sitting in front of the computer has made my muscles a little slow xD.

Basically I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do legs tomorrow (even though they're still sore) or if I should skip it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Seriously, go hope on an elliptical for a few minutes tonight go for a walk and get your legs pumping in another way and they will feel alot better. Follow the routine, if you start skipping then you will never get into it and just get into a cycle of do one workout get sore and skip again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's fine to work out when your muscles are still sore. In fact, the next workout will alleviate the soreness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I'm trying to follow a program (Jamie Eason's LiveFit) and the muscles are split up by at least 2 days. So Monday was a leg day and tomorrow is a leg day. I suppose the program assumes that your muscles would have had enough time to recover, but it seems as though all my time sitting in front of the computer has made my muscles a little slow xD.

Basically I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do legs tomorrow (even though they're still sore) or if I should skip it.

You're fine...you've had plenty of recovery time. Being sore doesn't mean you haven't had ample recovery time...you're just sore because you're starting a new program and that's normal. Just walk it off or hop on the elliptical and get a little warm up and do your workout...you're fine.
  • jscheuf
    jscheuf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If I waited for my muscles not to be sore I would never work out. I find that the next day my muscles are sore but then the day after that they are even tighter. I find the more I work out the better it gets. The first couple times are really hard but you kinda just have to push through. As Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels say, That pain/ soreness is fat leaving your body and your body learning to change. If you only work out when it is comfortable you aren't changing your body enough.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for your input all.

Sore workout it is!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^This
  • keithemp
    Options
    As Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels say, That pain/ soreness is fat leaving your body and your body learning to change.

I actually laughed out loud at this part.

:laugh: