Stop weight training?

1234purple
1234purple Posts: 5
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I need a little advice. I've been doing cardio and weight training to get back in shape. The fat loss is a little slow but I found that I've gained quite a bit of muscle. My thighs are really toned (despite still having visible cellulite on them). I am now thinking that they are just getting a tad too muscular. Should I give weight training a rest and stick to cardio only, which will also help with the fat loss? Let me know what you guys think!

Replies

• It sounds like you are off to a good start! Cardio is the fastest way to burn calories, thus losing fat. As far as weight training, maybe cut back the amount of days that you do it, but I wouldn't cut it out completely. Also, reduce the weight and do more reps to reduce bulk, but keep the toning. Hope this helped!
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    100% no. You are doing the right thing, combining cardio with weight training, you might do a little more weight training than cardio. As a female (assumed) it would take you a longlong time to developed overly muscular legs. Dont worry about it, keep it up!!!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    yes weight and cardio burn more fats and cal than any think else look at your diet
  • Cardio is good for fat burning as long as your heart rate isn't too high while working out. The good thing about weights though is that you build muscle. Muscle eats fat even when you're just sitting watching TV. The other advantage to building muscle is that you feel the results faster which motivates you to keep going.

Definitely keep up the weights, but as mentioned by Ninaad keep the reps high and the weights lower to create toned muscle rather than bulk muscle.
  • Thanks for the tips everyone! Yes, I am female. I am 5'6 and weight 134lbs. I'm a classic pear shape and so I'm just trying to lose the extra weight on my tummy, hips, butt and thighs. I normally do weight training 3x per week (3 sets of 15 reps with 8lbs dumbbells) and cardio 5 or 6 days a week (usually the elliptical) for about 45 minutes. Like I mentionned earlier I have noticed a difference in the shape of my body (legs are more toned) but I'm just afraid that I'll just look too bulky in the thighs (I think I gain muscles more easily in the thighs than most woman). So ultimately, I want the lean look. Some of you suggested to just reduce the number of sessions and weight amount. But if I'm finding my training to be easier every time, wouldn't going down in weights be pointless in terms of getting results?
  • Maybe you can try switching up what types of cardio you are doing. You might just have hill climbing legs, naturally. But if you are 5-6 and 134 pounds, nothing on you is going to be too big before long. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a glorious, strong, shapely bootie.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    100% no. You are doing the right thing, combining cardio with weight training, you might do a little more weight training than cardio. As a female (assumed) it would take you a long long time to developed overly muscular legs. Dont worry about it, keep it up!!!

I completely agree! Muscle burns more calories while at rest. Plus your still burning calories while weight training! Keep going and doing what your doing =)
  • If you increase the weight you will bulk up, which sounds like what is happening to you, if, however you decrease the weight and increase the amount of reps you are more likely to tone down.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Thanks for the tips everyone! Yes, I am female. I am 5'6 and weight 134lbs. I'm a classic pear shape and so I'm just trying to lose the extra weight on my tummy, hips, butt and thighs. I normally do weight training 3x per week (3 sets of 15 reps with 8lbs dumbbells) and cardio 5 or 6 days a week (usually the elliptical) for about 45 minutes. Like I mentionned earlier I have noticed a difference in the shape of my body (legs are more toned) but I'm just afraid that I'll just look too bulky in the thighs (I think I gain muscles more easily in the thighs than most woman). So ultimately, I want the lean look. Some of you suggested to just reduce the number of sessions and weight amount. But if I'm finding my training to be easier every time, wouldn't going down in weights be pointless in terms of getting results?

The elliptical is known to cause your thigh and calves to get bigger, I toned up and gained and inch on calves and 1 1/2 on my thighs. Mix up your cardio to shed the weight in your midsection, dancing (zumba), kickboxing, running, biking- keep your body guessing and it will work harder. Weight training should be slow and heavy to get long and lean muscle, women don't bulk up from weights we don't have enough testosterone in our body for that.

Cardio 5-6 days a week for 45 minutes, and weight training 2-3 days a week should get you the results you are looking for. You will lose inches then weight, but that is normal if you are weigh training.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    I agree with Suzanne. Personally I hate the elliptical. I tried it once (my wife used it because she has hyperextended joints and can't run) and my hips muscles were burning like crazy, but I hardly broke a sweat. That's not cardio if you ask me. It's kind of like the women who get on the machine that works your glutes, then wonder why their butt gets bigger.

I also agree about the weights. Don't worry about bulking up, because unless you have an exceptional harmonal system it just won't happen. Instead of going light and high rep with weights, I'd recomend circuit training. Choose 2 or even 3 muscles and work them all at the same time with almost no rest between sets. That type of training gets your heart rate up really quickly without hitting your legs every time like the elliptical will do.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Here is a good site about training for your body type. Which excercizes you should or shouldn't do for your body type.

http://www.enotalone.com/article/5789.html

Good luck, I agree less weight, more reps, and more flat running or treadmills, not steppers or incline.

Ven
  • Again, thanks everyone for your input. It really like the fact that are so many helpful people out there willing to help out a stranger!

Veniceit, I checked out the website you gave me and it was quite helpful. I am definitely a spoon, although a small one. I measured myself and the results are 32-29-35.

Suzanne, the website also confirmed that ellipticals are "evil" for bigger lower body individuals. I'll definitely start mixing up the cardio - although I only have access to the small gym in my apartment building which only has the elliptical, treadmill and rower.

I think I will continue with the weight training as suggested, but keep it with relatively low weight and more reps as I do like the fact that I have firm legs and I found it really helped reduce the cellulite. I still have a long road ahead, but it's a start.
  • volley68
    volley68 Posts: 2
    TateFTW

Can a women actually lift to much weight and cause it to turn into bulky muschles. I was currently doing 3 reps of 12 at a lower weight and was struggling to see some weight loss. so I was told that I should change it to 4 reps of 6 - 8 and by the 6th lift or push it should be hard and then #7 and #8 should be more of a struggle. But now I am told that might be wrong way to lift for someone who is trying to lose weight. Fir the longest time I use to only focus on Cardio and then I found out that I needed to weight train so I hit the weights.

What do you suggest...
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    I think you need to find what works for you but basically

Heavy weight + few reps= builds muscle
    low weight + lots of reps= lean long muscle

at least that's what I've read.

I usually do about 40 reps on a 10 lb bar, or 2 sets of 25. but I started out doing 10 reps, then 15, then 20. I'm up to 40 now, I don't really want to up the weight yet till I loose more weight, but I'm noticing deffinition in my arms.

Ven
This discussion has been closed.