Personal Attacks?

Options
RllyGudTweetr
RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
I regularly see folks complaining that people who point out an error in their thinking are making a 'personal attack' against them.

I'm curious: Did folks who got their answers marked off on exams in school feel that their teachers were making a 'personal attack' as well? Do you read this post - which names no names, and cites no posts, and makes no claims as to whether the observation is specific to this forum - as a 'personal attack?'

Replies

• dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Good point. Everyone is so damn over sensative!
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtqaVN47A4ys9DCW9NCBbbQ4f695htPqiXgyT7SMvUte42s3uD78esjLJM
  • Dan_Druff
    Dan_Druff Posts: 104
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mp0doeUBah1qz4rgp.gif
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The people who say that are so emotionally fragile it borders on a mental disorder. They have a carefully constructed world view and the slightest thing that doesn't fit in it causes them anguish and fear.

Recently someone told me that if I told them to stop talking during a movie they would see that as a personal attack. That's because secretly, when the whole world scares you, everything is an attack.

This is so very true.

We rescued a dog once... and every time my dad would pull out the broom to sweep the floor, the dog would cower under the table and whimper or growl...sometimes both.

Was my dad going to hurt the dog? No. Was the dog terrified and reacting to his fear. Hell yes.
    Did my dad keep sweeping the floor? Yes.
    Did the dog become his best friend and stop cowering? Yes

It just took some time for the dog to heal.

Not that it should stop people from being honest, or helpful, but it does sometimes give perspective to try and see the world through someone else's eyes.
  • PghPensFan69
    Options
    Was my dad going to hurt the dog? No. Was the dog terrified and reacting to his fear. Hell yes.
    Did my dad keep sweeping the floor? Yes.
    Did the dog become his best friend and stop cowering? Yes

It just took some time for the dog to heal.

How many years did that take? I walk in the room and my rescue dog hides under the table. We have had him for 10 years now.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I regularly see folks complaining that people who point out an error in their thinking are making a 'personal attack' against them.

I'm curious: Did folks who got their answers marked off on exams in school feel that their teachers were making a 'personal attack' as well? Do you read this post - which names no names, and cites no posts, and makes no claims as to whether the observation is specific to this forum - as a 'personal attack?'

i never got an answer wrong, so how would i know? *shrugs*

:tongue:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It took about 2 years for him to stop growling... probably about 5 years before he stopped cowering, but sometimes on bad days he'd run from the room. Especially if my dad was wearing a hat.

Yours must have had it pretty bad. :(
  • PghPensFan69
    Options
    It took about 2 years for him to stop growling... probably about 5 years before he stopped cowering, but sometimes on bad days he'd run from the room. Especially if my dad was wearing a hat.

Yours must have had it pretty bad. :(

Yeah, that is what we figured.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Good point. Everyone is so damn over sensative!

*sensitive

geez
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I'm curious: Did folks who got their answers marked off on exams in school feel that their teachers were making a 'personal attack' as well?

Coming from a former teacher, yes!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I am offended.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to see one of them come in here and weigh in as to why they feel personally attacked, as I've been accused of doing it so many times. I'm so mean. Queen of mean?
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    BAD-DAY-NOBODY-CARES_original.jpg
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Teachers always felt it was a personal attack when I corrected them...so I'm used to the reaction.

im_perfect_you_adjust_postcards-rd3108ab7988d447ebbf61bb6118aa912_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif \m/
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    They make products to help if you are too sensitive.

Just sayin.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If there's one thing MFP is good at, it's attracting emotionally fragile people with zero self-esteem.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The reasons for this reaction are a mile long, but it doesn't take a genius or buckets of empathy to see them. I guess what the more fragile members of mfp need is a thread dedicated to, well I don't know what we are doing here, mocking? highlighting? or just standing and pointing?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Being a supervisor makes you realize that there are a lot of people who think a criticism is a personal attack. It's quite difficult to give someone a review or a warning without them feeling you are personally attacking them. Then... tears. I keep a tissue box at hand in my office.