Idea's for getting in shape for hiking

Options
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas to help get in shape for hiking. I have a month to get in better shape for this hike. My husband is an avid hunter, and I told him I would go with him while we are on vacation. Our vacation is specifically for hunting, normally I stay at camp enjoy the company, good books and yummy wine while he hunts. So I have a month to get in shape, better than I am now. But I'm not really sure of exercises that will help me be able to hike up a mountain side. I'm thinking cardio of course, I don't want to be huffin & puffin the whole time, but I also need to increase my leg & ankle strength too. So if anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. :happy:

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hit the stairs
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Go for some longer walks--5km or so, to build up your stamina
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I really like the hill climb on the treadmill. You can also get out and take some shorter hikes before then. Find some good hills.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of walking lunges...until they burn and you can't do another
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Hills!! Also, if you are going to be doing real hiking, go ahead and get yourself some really decent boots NOW and wear them when you do your practice hikes outside. Worse then huffing and puffing is getting blisters and sore feet because you didn't break your boots in. Misery.
  • Anita1271
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!! I will be hitting the hill right by my house tonight!! Even if it's raining! But after my regular work out :tongue: All of these are awesome ideas! I'm very excited to be doing this with my husband, this was one of the reasons that got me working out and getting in better shape, so I can do this with him along with other hiking he does that I haven't been able to do!! PS I already have a good pair of hiking boots that are already broken in :)
  • masonpips
    masonpips Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving next Thursday for a Rim-to-Rim Grand Canyon hike. We've been training for months (we have to carry up to 35 pounds each over 4 days). We started w/basic hikes on relatively flat ground. Find some hills and hike those. Nice side note: if you carry 10+ pounds you burn a TON more calories and you'll build up your strength and endurance faster. Plus it's easier to carry water - a small cushioned backpack w/a camelback type water bladder and a bag of sugar can get you to 10 lbs easily. Start w/a short walk and increase your time/distance as you get more fit.

We're now able to walk up/down a huge hill by our house 6 times, each carrying about 32 pounds, in about 2 hours. Taking the pack off and doing that with nothing would feel like a piece of cake!

Good luck and have fun!
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!! I will be hitting the hill right by my house tonight!! Even if it's raining! But after my regular work out :tongue: All of these are awesome ideas! I'm very excited to be doing this with my husband, this was one of the reasons that got me working out and getting in better shape, so I can do this with him along with other hiking he does that I haven't been able to do!! PS I already have a good pair of hiking boots that are already broken in :)

Fantastic. Now all you need is extra clean socks. LOL. Have fun.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Stadium stairs are good, but from experience nothing beats hiking out in the woods. Find as hilly of an area as you can and go. Up, down and over uneven terrain will do more than anything else for you. If you can, carry a weighted pack either heavier or the same as your pack while on your trip.
    I do TONS of running and can go forever, but if I don’t get out and actually hike the hills & trails, my legs are burning just a short ways up the mountain.