To Run With or Without Music

Options
Hey Fellow fitness peoples,
I read an article last week that said every once in a while it is a good thing to run without music. I have tried this and I think it SUCKS! I am a HUGE music lover. I am probably the most eclectic music person you have ever met. I can't even go 2 minutes down the street without my radio on or music from my phone.

Out of sheer curiosity, do you prefer to run with or without music? Why? If you do run with music, what do you listen to? What songs, artists, or type of music do you listen to?

Let me know your opinion I would appreciate it and I am always lookin for new music
Thanks
Chris

Replies

• Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    With.

I don't want to hear myself wheeze.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    All exercising is better with music!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I like runners who run with music, especially how they don't pay attention to anything around them, and generally act like your average 14 year old that has no concept or care of what's going on around them.

The best is when they get scared by cars around them, or when a bike rider passes them, and they lose their **** because "it was done unsafely!"

If you're on a quarter mile track though, it's safe enough.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I run without music. I also commute one hour each way to work, and I drive with no music. I am one of those weird people who like it quiet for some reason.

But I actually want to start including music when I run, because I think it helps with pace and combating boredom. I just haven't done it yet.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I always run with music, it motivates me and helps keep me going!!
  • jannalovescoffee
    jannalovescoffee Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like runners who run with music, especially how they don't pay attention to anything around them, and generally act like your average 14 year old that has no concept or care of what's going on around them.

The best is when they get scared by cars around them, or when a bike rider passes them, and they lose their **** because "it was done unsafely!"

You're just a ray of sunshine.

I like to have music...helps occupy the time. Its hard for me to breath right without.
  • Marcia315
    Options

Some of us are capable of walking and chewing gum at once, but thanks for your concern, Sunshine.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I run without because I can't find ear buds that don't fall out. It's really not that bad. The only thing I find music good for is my pace because I have certain songs that I go faster with.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

When I used to run with music I never had it turned up. I was always able to hear what was going on around me however I wasn't always able to hear the soft sound of a bicycle that's coming up behind me unless they give an 'On your right!" heads, or the soft feet of walkers.

Not everyone is unaware.
  • davidsonl13
    Options
    I run with music, it keeps my pace and keeps my brain occupied.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I need music when I'm on the treadmill to simply make it more fun. When I'm outdoors, I run without.
  • VoodooChummy
    VoodooChummy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I run with music extremely loud and my pace with music vs without is about 20 sec/mi faster. Occasionally I'll find a place to run and unplug and just enjoy what's around me, those days are few and far between but I think it is good to do.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I run without

Generally just in life I have no co-ordination, so to throw music in the mix while Im running would be bad news! :blushing:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I run with music at a volume that I can still be aware of what is going on around me.

It drowns out the little negative voice in my head telling me that I can't do this.

Favourite artists to run to - Daft Punk, Foo Fighters, FatBoySlim.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on the day. Some days it's nice to have the distraction and on others I prefer to have it quiet. Lately I've been listening to audio books, especially on my long runs. When I do listen to music or books, I keep the volume low enough that I can carry on a conversation (and hear approaching cars).

I need to put together some good playlists. One day I made the mistake of putting my iPod on shuffle, and halfway through my run a waltz started playing. I cannot run to anything in 3/4 time! I'm sure it was pretty amusing for anyone who saw me.
  • klishtopher
    Options
    What do you listen to while you run
  • Marcia315
    Options
    For me, it depends on the day. Some days it's nice to have the distraction and on others I prefer to have it quiet. Lately I've been listening to audio books, especially on my long runs. When I do listen to music or books, I keep the volume low enough that I can carry on a conversation (and hear approaching cars).

I need to put together some good playlists. One day I made the mistake of putting my iPod on shuffle, and halfway through my run a waltz started playing. I cannot run to anything in 3/4 time! I'm sure it was pretty amusing for anyone who saw me.

My husband thought he would be cute and load the Star Trek Theme on my iPod.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I always run with music. Classic rock and metal. It's the only way.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I run outside without music and with my dog. It's not boring for me because the scenery is always changing and I tend to carry on a conversation with my dog.

I run on the treadmill with music. I listen to Rihanna, Nelly, Black Eyed Peas, Huey Lewis and the News, Adele, ABBA, Creed and any other music that I find myself singing to when I am listening to the radio.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always run with music. It gets annoying listening to the sounds of the treadmill.