Losing Weight Without Losing Muscle

Options
I am 5'10, 180 lbs, male. My BMR is around 1900, TDEE about 2960 (around 3300 when I go to the gym twice a day). Trying to lose about 7-9 more pounds in fat.

I weight train 5 days a week and like I said above, do cardio about 4 days a week. I've been eating around 2300 calories (A little more the days I do cardio) a day. My cardio consists of around 40 minutes of walking on an incline or running at about 6.5 MPH, until I get to about 400-500 calories.

Although I've been reading around and am getting nervous that with dieting and cardio, I may also lose some muscle.

How do I lose weight without losing muscle? Things like keeping my protein intake high?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein and fat intake are important to maintain lean body mass. You are already lifting so thats the other part. You might also want to do some reasearch on post lifting refueling to give your muscles the best advantage you can. Also, make friends with some of the guy lifters on here, they would probably be able to give you some good advice :), better than mine anyways....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yes, keeping protein intake high, and keeping up your strength training will help you retain muscle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    High protein and strength training.
  • bgar1585
    Options
    Yes, keeping protein intake high, and keeping up your strength training will help you retain muscle.

How much protein? About 1G per LB?
  • naurugirl
    naurugirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation of keeping protein high and continuing with the strength training. Also, losing at a slower rate (lower deficit) will help preserve LBM as well.
  • naurugirl
    naurugirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options

How much protein? About 1G per LB?

That's a contentious issue. The numbers I've seen the most at 1g/lb of LEAN body mass, 0.8g/lb of total weight.
  • jkregers
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=337536

A good link about g/protein a day. 1-2g/lb a day. Probably closer to 1.5-2g.

Creatine will probably help keep some muscle on. You will gain some water weight, but there is no reason to be alarmed by that.
  • bgar1585
    Options

Creatine will probably help keep some muscle on. You will gain some water weight, but there is no reason to be alarmed by that.

I guess what I can't get my head wrapped around is how can I eat that much protein while still eating at a deficit?.....
  • jkregers
    Options
    ....you can't. Just do the best you can? Lots of chicken/fish, and a lot of protein powder. Branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) might be good for keeping some muscle on too. And if they aren't, they taste like kool-aid, are calorie-free (Xtend), cost around 50 cents for a serving, and have other benefits.

I eat quest bars all day long and protein powder and brown rice/fish, and I don't even come close to even getting 1g/lb. I just do the best I can. I don't seem to be losing much muscle, but I am taking BCAAs, creatine, and protein powder.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I guess what I can't get my head wrapped around is how can I eat that much protein while still eating at a deficit?.....

I eat 1600 cals a day and get more than 1g/lb body weight. (between 130g to 160g) Aim for high protein foods, eggs, cottage cheese, turkey, chicken, fish. You can throw a protein shake in there as well

If you think 1g/lb body weight is too much you can aim lower than that as some say 1g/lb of lean mass is also a good number to go by

BCAAs and creatine are not necessary, same goes with protein powder and bars. If you get all you need from food there is no need to add supplements
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Stop eating pasta and breads; cut out the salads and fruit, eat more fish, chicken and steak. I also drink a protien shake everyday. Thats 40 gr of protein, you are now almost 25% of the way there.
  • bgar1585
    Options

Stop eating pasta and breads; cut out the salads and fruit, eat more fish, chicken and steak. I also drink a protien shake everyday. Thats 40 gr of protein, you are now almost 25% of the way there.

Thanks for the help. So I guess I should calorie intake. 2300 may be too low.....