Losing Weight Without Losing Muscle?

Options
I am 5'10, 180 lbs, male. My BMR is around 1900, TDEE about 2960 (around 3300 when I go to the gym twice a day). Trying to lose about 7-9 more pounds in fat.

I weight train 5 days a week and like I said above, do cardio about 4 days a week. I've been eating around 2300 calories (A little more the days I do cardio) a day. My cardio consists of around 40 minutes of walking on an incline or running at about 6.5 MPH, until I get to about 400-500 calories.

Although I've been reading around and am getting nervous that with dieting and cardio, I may also lose some muscle.

How do I lose weight without losing muscle? Things like keeping my protein intake high?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein. A good rule is to get 1g/lb of body weight. Although some say 1g/lb of lean mass, I have always used 1g/lb of body weight and it worked perfectly for me
  • keithemp
    Options
    Eat enough protein. A good rule is to get 1g/lb of body weight. Although some say 1g/lb of lean mass, I have always used 1g/lb of body weight and it worked perfectly for me

Pretty much this. Might as well just eat 1g per lb of body weight, since the extra protein won't cause any problems.

Keep in mind that by eating more protein, you are increasing your total calories. Adjust accordingly by taking some calories out of fats and carbs.