Goal weight?

Options
Just wondering how everyone decided on their goal weight? Is it a weight you were in the past and want to be there again? I started at 187 lbs and knew I at least wanted to be out of the 170's so I set a goal of 20lbs, which would put me at 167 lbs. I will reevaluate when I get there :wink: If you don't mind sharing your height and goal weight and how you decided on it :flowerforyou:

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5-foot-4-inch tall woman, 48 years old. Most of my adult life, I weighed 145, but always felt a bit pudgy. The last few years, my weight crept up to 170 and I decided to fix that. I picked a goal weight of 130 because it was in the middle of the healthy weight range on my BMI chart. It was pretty arbitrary. Now that I'm there, I plan to meet with a personal trainer soon to figure out if I should hold here, lose more, etc., based on a body fat analysis. Right now, I'm thinking (based on what I see in the mirror) that I could stand to lose a few more to get rid of a few pockets of stubborn fat, then maybe gain a few back in muscle mass.

It's hard to figure out where to stop sometimes. Body fat is a good indicator - better than the scale most times. Good luck!
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and now weigh 129. I did not set a goal weight- I let my body do it for me. I left my calories at about 1250 until my weight loss stayed where it is (around 133) without losing. I decided this was where it was meant to be. So i changed my goal to maintenance at that time, increased my calories, kick started an increase in my metabolism which put me where I am now and have been since about April
    Good Luck
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am five feet tall, exactly.

About a year and a half ago, I stepped on the scale and it said 178. I was squeaking into size 14s. I said no.

Bit by bit, on my own, using my own food diary and using my own studying of calories and nutrition I worked my way down. 150, 140, 130. I hit 125 and I was finally able to wear my sister's clothes and fit into a bikini without being self conscious (I still have all the boobs I had at 180 though so actually wearing a bikini without a shirt made me a walking whiplash hazard). I never really hit 120 which for my sturdy little body (on the stocky side of a medium bone build) was my appropriate weight.

I got stressed, lost my job, picked up a job as a waitress to make ends meet... at an Asian restaurant.... and looked down at the scale and it said 143.

I literally cried. I sat down and cried. Then I picked myself up, brushed myself off and determined that if I had done it once I could do it again.

I had knocked out to 138 when my sister pointed this site out to me. I would like to reach 120 because it is where I wanted to get from the very beginning and where I should be within my BMI. Also, I'm the hawtness at 125, I'll bet I'm smokin' at 120.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've never been a healthy weight in my entire life, so I started there. I'm 5'3" and a healthy weight is under 141 pounds, so I've set my initial goal at 140. I've also talked to my doctor and she said given my frame and past weight, 130-140 would be perfect for me. I'm planning to build up some muscles so I'll be happy with a lean and toned 130-140 I think. That seems like something that I can maintain.
  • dward843
    Options
    I know what I was in high school..when I got married...when I finished having kids. I was always happy with the weight at that point....I just got lazy and decided it's time to do something. I'm shooting for my first goal of 175 I'm 196 now but then the next weight I'm looking at is 155 (when I got married). I wasn't too thin but I felt really good about myself.

I want to be healthy and I look at my BMI and where I should be so I'm aiming about right.

Good Luck to you!!!!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and very petite. I had twins and hit a high of 186. My normal weight for my size and frame is 110-111. I have but on muscle and toned up but I have 13 more to go. The scale is not as important to me as the way my clothes fit and how much better I feel about myself. I'm considered in healthy BMI now, but still not exactly happy just yet.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and now 140 - right in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height. The last 4-5 pounds took 2 months to come off, I think that was my body telling me I was done! Also, I'm very happy with my current muscle definition and how my clothes look. I have exercised a lot - and it shows. I'm sad now winter is coming and everything will be covered up! :sad:
  • bonniecameron68
    Options
    I am also 5'4" tall and currently weigh in at 150lbs. I set a goal weight of 125 to 120lbs because I used to be that weight when I was in great shape. I play a lot of sports like soccer, skiing, ball, running, triathlons and mountain biking so my body needs muscles to keep up the strength to do these sports well. I will also admit that I loved how much better I looked at 120lbs, it is at the lowest allowable weight in my catagory since I am small boned. I wouldn't look healthy if I were to weigh any less than 120 but am way too pudgy feeling at my current weight. But you can't go all by weight, some people who weigh the same as I do look way bigger than me, as they don't workout etc and lack muscle tone. I think you should have a healthy range and then see how good look there and decide from that. Good luck!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and started losing in January at 179 lbs. I started on this site in February at 169 lbs, with the 1200 minimium calories style that this site endorses.
    I have experimented with various carb, protien, and fat levels--with the fat levels at 20-25% of my total calories each day. I limited my saturated fat calories to 10-12g per day.
    Add in a non-stop 5-6 year old grandson as my excercise "coach" and I attained my goal weight of 142 today!

My initial goal was 148, but I felt that I wasn't done yet, so I reset my goal for 142 at the beginning of the summer. Achieved.

You are starting out right and will also see success. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'4" and right now am 158. I started at 180 and decided 140 would be my magic number. I gained weight as a teen and got down to about 145 and then last summer tried to lose weight but only got down to 150 so I'm hoping that now that I have all this knowledge thanks to MFP and an actual PLAN, I can get down to 140.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'3.5" and i started at about 143ish lbs...eating just about whatever i wanted (within reason) and exercising only minimally my body stuck between 138-143 without going any lower...i was at the high end of a healthy BMI and though i never was content there i had a hard time committing to getting below 138...so my original goal was to lose about 10 lbs putting me at 133-134 which was the smallest i had been since high school...once i hit that i realized that i would be happier a bit lower...right now i am 127.5 lbs which is about where i want to be (and my lowest weight since i was 15)...now that i have reminded my body that healthy eating is good and exercise is even better i think that i can maintain 125-130 :):):) best of luck to everyone :)
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 115-120. After i had my son i was 225. I worked my *kitten* off(literally) to take off 110 lbs in a year dropping me down to 115. However, quitting smoking my me the munchies queen and gained roughly 20 lbs. I would like to get back down to 115-120 as it is where i feel best about my body.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :smile:
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7 and vaguely remember being 158lbs at some point in the dim and distant past - I *think* I was happy there so that's where I'm trying to get back to. At the moment I just want to keep shrinking without looking too thin. I know to stop if I start looking unhealthy and I'm lucky enough to have family and friends who'll tell me if they think I'm going too far. At the moment I'm 179lbs (an American size 12 I believe) and trying to get to 174 for the end of September - that's the weight that I was at in March '09 (the thinnest I'll have been since about 2002).
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have changed my goal several times already. I am 5"8 1/2 and started at 190, I now weigh 145, but my original goals were 155, then 150 , then 145, and now I am shooting to be anywhere bt 130-140. 125 is the lowest I could go for my height to be considered heathy. I figure if the weight is still coming off then let it, as long as I stay in that healthy range. I pretty much maintained over the summer, as I lose more weight in the winter, so now that it is cooling down and I am on my regular workout schedule I am hoping to see the numbers drop once again. I def hope to be ready to maintain by April (planning a big trip!)

Good luck!
  • WhiskeyBravo
    Options
    Currently my goal weight is 140-145; I know when I'm around 155-160 I can get a 6 pack---and around 145 I can get a quad sweep..which I had once and for a fleeting moment...At 5'8' I am currently 190 with a gut and twin thunder thighs which is the opposite of cute. I eventually want to compete and win a figure competition, which I may need to be around 135....but for now I'm shooting for 145.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    my goal weight is 120lbs. i started off at 134 and right now i am at 128 but would like to maintain at 120. hopefully, i can get there soon!