Need help...Look at my diary..

Options
Is there anyone that would be willing to look at my diary, and let me know of anything I can do differently to see better results each week when I weigh myself? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm getting a little frustrated with such slow weight loss each week...last week was 0.1 lb and this week is not much different although I stay within my goal every day with the exception of the 1-ish cheat meal I have per week. Any tips/constructive criticism is appreciated.

*i get in 2-3 good cardio/strength training workouts per week at the gym, as well as at least 1 at home DVD workout.

*I do my best to drink at least 75 oz of water per day. I realize that I should drink more and know that could be a big part of why the weight is coming off so slowly. Just wondering if you all see anything else I could add in or change to see some results..

Replies

• anewton8083
    anewton8083 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the salad dressing, shredded cheese and rice/pasta i do measure those out with a measuring cup for the portion size it says on the box or package..i figured if they said 2 T of salad dressing is 25 cal then i just pour 2T of dressing..

.as for raw meat I will definitely look into getting a food scale. Should I be weighing the apples/sweet potatoes too? Ive never seen apples/avocados/bananas etc listed as ounces/grams only as whole pieces of fruit.. so if i eat a half a banana I put that I ate half a banana
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't matter as much as how much you eat. For that, you need a food scale to be precise (measuring cups and spoons are not accurate at all, for anything), and to log everything you eat (your own recipes etc) correctly. Your salad dressing should probably have a serving in grams on it as well (or in milliliters if they suck - then sorry).

Other than that, unless you're older than 40 and/or less than 5 feet and/or completely sedentary, you should probably try to aim for more than 1200 calories.

ETA: there are entries with an option in grams. Typically entries without a * in the front are for MFP and give values for 100 grams as well. Bananas can go from 80 to 120+ calories, for example.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure your food in grams. If you're trying to get more precise measurements using grams, I use this site http://nutritiondata.self.com/

And then when I'm on MFP using the entries other people make, I make sure the calories shown by weight for the items in the database at the website above match what MFP is putting into my daily diary.

Foods with labels are easier, since the label will tell you there's three servings in a container, or whatever, of a certain calorie, so you can make sure MFP is putting the right amount into your diary.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Aside from the advice given, try to find entries without a star at the beginning. The stars indicate a user-entered item and can be inaccurate.

In regards to the fruit/veggies, if you choose the ones without stars, you can adjust serving sizes.
    Say you want to log an apple.

Search, and choose the entry without the star.
    Then before you add it, click the drop down box and go to 100g. Weigh out your apple (I core mine, because... I don't know why but I do lol), and if it's 100g, great, if not adjust your serving sizes.
    See:

ibavlz.jpg

FFS - sorry it's huge!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Aside from the advice given, try to find entries without a star at the beginning. The stars indicate a user-entered item and can be inaccurate.

In regards to the fruit/veggies, if you choose the ones without stars, you can adjust serving sizes.
    Say you want to log an apple.

Search, and choose the entry without the star.
    Then before you add it, click the drop down box and go to 100g. Weigh out your apple (I core mine, because... I don't know why but I do lol), and if it's 100g, great, if not adjust your serving sizes.
    See:

ibavlz.jpg

FFS - sorry it's huge!!

The other good indicator on the choice is the # of confirmations on it as well.

If you don't find one you are sure of because you have the box in front of you...edit it...then you can re-use that entry for yourself as you find it under "my foods"...I do that all the time.
  • anewton8083
    Options
    ahhh looks like i'll be getting a food scale! can I get them at Walmart? lol you can get everything at walmart right?!
  • anewton8083
    Options
  • anewton8083
    Options
    Other than that, unless you're older than 40 and/or less than 5 feet and/or completely sedentary, you should probably try to aim for more than 1200 calories.

I was just going by what MFP said my goal was...Ive read that 1200 is pretty low and can make your metabolism slow down being counterproductive to the whole process...is there something else better I should use to find a more accurate calorie goal?
  • allenccook
    allenccook Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Try sticking to your daily limit. Any exercise you do regard as a bonus, do not use as an excuse to eat more. ie if your daily limit is 1400 calories stay within that. The 250 calories you earn from exercise regard as a bonus and do not use it to eat more but use it to put towards your weight loss. 250 calories per day amounts to 1750 calories per week not used in food, so it has to come off your body.
    As everyone else has said, get yourself some kitchen scales and weigh everything, you can be miles out guessing or using cups. Also be honest with yourself when recording what you've eaten.

Hope this helps
    Allen
  • VeePhillips
    VeePhillips Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I only looked at your first page. Besides a foodscale for accuracy, you also need to eat at the very least 1200 calories per day. Also your workouts need to be at least 60 minutes, I would suggest 5X per week. Anything less and your just going to maintain your weight. Its always harder to lose weight when you don't have as much to lose. You actually have to work harder at it. My information comes from my son who is a personal trainer/dietician. Someone bigger like me has an easier time losing in the beginning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I was just going by what MFP said my goal was...Ive read that 1200 is pretty low and can make your metabolism slow down being counterproductive to the whole process...is there something else better I should use to find a more accurate calorie goal?

You're supposed to eat back your exercise calories (don't listen to people who say you shouldn't).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

I'm not saying that you fall into this category, but many people choose an activity level below their actual level (e.g., sedentary) because they don't want to overaccount for their calories or they're just not sure from the description what their level is (I did this myself at first), and then choose 2 lbs a week for their weight loss goal, and then blame MFP for telling them to eat 1200 calories a day. It's just a formula, and the user has control of two important variables (activity level and weight loss goal). (I'm assuming people are being accurate about their heights, ages, genders, and current weights.) Don't blame the hammer when you hit your finger instead of the nail.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Proteins are in good shape - you are eating plenty of those. That is always the first thing I look at. Your protein sources are pretty good - chicken and tuna. I see you are using a Whey protein which is good. Make sure there's nothing artificial in that like sweetner or colors or flavors. Also no soy.
    When are you eating and working out? Suggest eating your protein meals after working out.
    Also 60+ minutes of exercise seems extreme. Look for HIIT and go for about 12 min for a lleast 3x a week.
    Measuring food can be a huge hassle - if you think your time is worthy of doing that - then by all means do it.
    Overall - this is just advice. Go get a urine test and blood spot to see what your hormone and vitamin levels are at. Then go see a nutritionist or dietician to get expert advice. Your health insurance should cover that.
  • allenccook
    allenccook Posts: 3 Member
    Options

You're supposed to eat back your exercise calories (don't listen to people who say you shouldn't).

What nutter told you that! Works for me!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    . Also your workouts need to be at least 60 minutes, I would suggest 5X per week. Anything less and your just going to maintain your weight.

What?!

Diet is for weight loss/maintenance. Exercise is for fitness/cardiac health.

When I started here, I followed my calories and lost 20lbs over 3-4 months without lifting a finger. I started walking and it was less than an hour. I didn't maintain weight because I was in a deficit.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the salad dressing, shredded cheese and rice/pasta i do measure those out with a measuring cup for the portion size it says on the box or package..i figured if they said 2 T of salad dressing is 25 cal then i just pour 2T of dressing..

.as for raw meat I will definitely look into getting a food scale. Should I be weighing the apples/sweet potatoes too? Ive never seen apples/avocados/bananas etc listed as ounces/grams only as whole pieces of fruit.. so if i eat a half a banana I put that I ate half a banana
    They are there as grams and oz. If not, I add them myself. I weigh everything. If you like, look at my diary, and you will see my avocado is by gram, and so is my apple. I don't weigh my bananas.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Also your workouts need to be at least 60 minutes, I would suggest 5X per week. Anything less and your just going to maintain your weight.

Absolutely not true. If you are eating at a deficit, you don't actually have to exercise at all. But if you want to exercise to help weight loss along, to get more fit and healthy, you do not need to carve out an hour a day. What's more important is a good variety of exercises. Cardio that you enjoy, some weight training, HIIT, yoga for flexibility. If you enjoy it and want to do a longer session or two every week, go for it. But you are not going to impede weight loss by eating good foods at a deficit and working out regularly--even if it's just 30 min. 4 times a week.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that you don't have a food scale. You need one. In the past two days you have estimate-style guesses for avocados, bananas, apples, cheese, sweet potatoes, rice, pasta, salad dressing, chicken, and probably tilapia (looks like you used a pre-portioned filet but they don't all weigh the same).

Measuring these things with cups/tablespoons, etc, is simply not going to be accurate.

This.

If you add USDA behind a "banan"in the search, you will come up with a listing that allows you to enter in grams. You need to weigh. Stop using cups altogether if you can. They are VERY inaccureate. There are youtube videos on this, you can find some great info here too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=you+are+eating+more+than+you+think

I weigh all my food on a digital scale, even got a portable one for my business trips.