Flat Tummy Tips..Do you have any?

Options
I am overweight right now, but even when I was thin/fit, (5'4" 112 lbs) I seemed to always have a pooch.

What helped you get a flat tummy?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, heavy lifting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit to lose fat, and heavy lifting. You can't spot reduce.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    <
    calorie deficit at first, to lose the weight (and I had to get down to a bmi of around 19). Then I added walking and a bit of jogging after I transitioned into maintenance. Also, I've never done any heavy lifting :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Flat tummy has a lot to do with body fat %. Do you know what yours is?
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Like the rest have said Caloric deficit is the only way besides regular consistent exercise which you should pair with the deficit for best results. Spot reduction is a myth. When you lose fat it doesn't come off one area. It will come off your entire body slowly.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about fat, then caloric deficit. If you're talking about bloat, probiotics.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If I run 3 or more days a week, I keep a flat stomach.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If I run 3 or more days a week, I keep a flat stomach.

I might run once a week if I feel up to it, I keep a flat stomach.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Have genetics that dictate your store your fat in your thighs and not your belly...
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Have genetics that dictate your store your fat in your thighs and not your belly...

I store evenly in both.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I used to store all my fat in my thighs, but as I get older it goes to my tummy first. If I still have belly fat after I reach my goal weight I find that the only thing that creates a flat tummy is continuing to build muscle elsewhere. Squats and deadlifts are good because they help build huge muscles, hamstrings, quads and glutes, not to mention the full body effect, and they also require the use of stabilization muscles.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Although you cannot spot reduce a poster above me stated, I like the phrase "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym".

The lower part of your stomach (or the pooch as you call it) is pretty synonymous with the kinds of food that you eat. You can eat at a deficit and work out like crazy, but if you are making poor diet choices, you will always have a tummy.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Although you cannot spot reduce a poster above me stated, I like the phrase "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym".

The lower part of your stomach (or the pooch as you call it) is pretty synonymous with the kinds of food that you eat. You can eat at a deficit and work out like crazy, but if you are making poor diet choices, you will always have a tummy.

My diet would make a clean eater faint and I still have a flat tummy. It is the calorie deficit that does it.
  • usmcmp
    Options

My diet would make a clean eater faint and I still have a flat tummy. It is the calorie deficit that does it.

Same here.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Same here.

3rd -ed.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I eat fast food 3-4 times a week, 'processed' foods etc etc. :wink: I also only do 30 minutes of pretty low impact exercise a day, and actually had a pretty flat stomach before I even started exercising. My flat stomach is the result of a calorie deficit and losing enough weight. End of story.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Been trying for ages now, it's a work in progress. Calorie deficit along with TONNES of persistence/perseverence seems to be the answer