Leg pain

Options
Sometimes, especially at night, I feel a lot of pain in both legs. Like down by my ankles in the muscles. It doesn't seem to be related to the bones.

I'm not doing a lot of walking (and no running). It seems to happen after days when I stand a bit (like for washing dishes) or climbing the stairs to my apartment several times.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had this a couple of weeks ago. Take a Potassium supplement. Make sure you take it on a full stomach or you will get sick. Take extra magnesium. Probably close to bed time. It'll help you sleep. And a good multi- vitamin. You want the micro minerals in particular vanadium, tin, moly....

I started this and the aches went away almost immediately.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Banana a day will keep cramping and pain away!
  • chrisd0201
    chrisd0201 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it might be the begining of varicose veins. I have been wearing support knee highs and it does make a difference in how my legs feel at the end of the day. I don't get the fancy TED hose from a medical store. Sears has them in their house brand. There are three different support levels and they range in price from $3.50 to $7.00. Just a suggestion...
  • iowabelle
    Options
    Sometimes I get charley horses and that seems to be helped by bananas or milk. But this is a different sort of pain.

It worries me that it might be PAD. I don't have insurance and can't go see the doctor about it, so that concerns me.
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    sounds like your potassium may be low as other have suggested.....try adding bananas, cantaloupe, raisins, Apricots and or figs to your diet....or to make it real easy a potassium supplement....you might wanna get your Dr to draw blood just to check things out...
    You also could have restless leg syndrome since this seems to be affecting you at night or PAD which is Peripheral arterial disease Either way if this continues See your Dr for real....
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Sometimes I get charley horses and that seems to be helped by bananas or milk. But this is a different sort of pain.

It worries me that it might be PAD. I don't have insurance and can't go see the doctor about it, so that concerns me.

I'm reading this thread with great interest myself - I suffer horrific :cry: charlie horses to the point they are debilitating:sad: . I've been suffering with mine since a time when I had insurance and they seemed to be of no concern other than to tell me to eat less and exercise more - the hours I worked and my weight was my problem... what's the excuse now? Like you - no insurance and have continual concerns. So it is interesting to read the posts... I will have to get some magnesium and try (I already take Potassium) that route. Thank you for posting this question. :flowerforyou:
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You also need to make sure you are having a good multivitamin supplement. With the weight loss, you are usually drinking alot of water which is flushing the good and the bad from our systems. I get horrible cramps due to potassium lacking and the bananas really help though watch for the system backup if you know what I mean. Try the potassium and the support sock as suggested above and if you don't get any relief, spring for the dr visit. Better to catch something early than late.
    Good Luck
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump