Tracking open water swims

Options
Any suggested products for tracking open water swims? Thus far I've considered -

FINIS Hydro Tracker Swim GPS
Waterproof GPS watches
Waterproof cellphone case, coupled with Endomondo

The cellphone case is obviously the cheapest option, but I'm a little wary to trusting such an expensive device to a glorified ziploc bag. Anyone have any experience with these?

The waterproof GPS watch seems the most versatile, since I'll be able to use it on runs and bike rides in races which don't allow electronics like phones. But they are also most expensive.

The FINIS is the middle of the range price-wise, but also the least versatile option, being purpose-specific. It also looks a little bulky.

I know this is probably too specialized a question for the main forums, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I know people who use the Garmin GPS watches which seem to work well. (Sorry can't give you a specific model)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The Finis looks like a one trick pony but if you're only interested in distance it would probably work fine.

On the other hand the Garmin 310xt (or 910 if you're feeling rich) can be used for the swim, bike 7 run and can give you a lot more feedback in terms of heart rate, pace, cadence (with option foot pod or bike kit)......the kind of stuff that appeals to number geeks like me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The Finis looks like a one trick pony but if you're only interested in distance it would probably work fine.

On the other hand the Garmin 310xt (or 910 if you're feeling rich) can be used for the swim, bike 7 run and can give you a lot more feedback in terms of heart rate, pace, cadence (with option foot pod or bike kit)......the kind of stuff that appeals to number geeks like me.

I'm a numbers geek too, but I'm more interested in the numbers in my 401(k), my kids' 529s, and my wife's 503(b) :laugh: so I tend to look for the cheapest possible solution that fits my needs first.

So at this point in time, I've concluded I will put my phone in one of these -

41Ubt2a4yCL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

and then put it in one of these (which I will be getting anyway for safety, which is always worth spending money on) -

sf_06.jpg

I'll see how it works out. Frankly I begrudge even spending the $20 on the case, but it's to satisfy the geek in me that wants at least some data on my swims.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I hate carrying anything with me for an open water swim...I usually wear either a tri watch which does the time measurement only or my HRM which unfortunately doesnt like salt water (ocean swims) so it stops halfway ....so I just acknowledge the distance I swam. If I am doing an event then I know the length of the course I have to swim anyway and just look at the time it took :)
  • mo_chuisle
    mo_chuisle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been on the lookout too for a swim HRM (potentially GPS) watch - if you want some great reviews, and haven't checked out DC Rainmaker's website, he's pretty awesome! www.dcrainmaker.com/‎
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have looked into getting the Garmin Swim watch.

It is nice since you don't have to charge it nightly, the battery lasts for about a year and you can replace it yourself instead of sending it in. It is also a decent size. I have small wrists and the Garmin 910 and 310 are HUGE. The swim size wasn't too bad. The GPS option can be turned on or off. It was also fairly inexpensive (retail approx. $160 Canadian)

You cannot use a HRM for swimming.

The Garmin 910 (310) is more for triathlon training and needs to be charged nightly.

Edit: I ended up just getting an ironman timex, I decided I didn't the other functions and I wanted an interval timer which the Garmin swim does not have.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I have timex triathlon watch and it has capacity to store 30laps...I just press the start when I start my first stroke...helps me monitor how long I have been swimming for .)