Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Difference Between Carb from Fruit and carb from Bread etc

Hello everyone,

i have been eating fruits more then i used too...i want to ask that is there any difference between carb from fruits and carb from junk food..?? or they both are just unhealthy in any way?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    "Fortunately, it’s easy separate the good from the bad.

We can reap the health benefits of good carbs by choosing carbohydrates full of fiber. These carbs that get absorbed slowly into our systems, avoiding spikes in blood sugar levels. Examples: whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans.
    We can minimize the health risk of bad carbs by eating fewer refined and processed carbohydrates that strip away beneficial fiber. Examples: white bread and white rice."

You can read the rest of the article here on WebMD:
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/carbohydrates
  • So does that means if i had 4 Mandarines (Oranges) in a day dat wont make me fat? lol just wondering...i am worried haha ...
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    You can still gain weight eating carbs from fruits. It's all about calories in/calories out. If you're eating enough fruit to go over the amount of calories you burn in a day your body will save/deposit the excess (aka store fat). It doesn't matter whether these calories come from proteins, carbs, or fats and it doesnt matter whether they come from processed refined sugars or natural sugars in fruits. HOWEVER as previously mentioned, replacing refined carbs (white bread, pasta, etc) with whole grains and carbs from veggies and fruits will make you feel fuller for longer and keeps your blood sugar/insulin levels more even meaning that you will be less likely to binge later. Also, fruits and veg contain a lot of good nutrients so it can't hurt your health and nutrition to replace a bag of candy with an apple even if they equal the same calories and amount of carbs.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Only 4? :laugh:

You'll be fine. I'm a raw vegan. Everything I eat is comes from a veggie or fruit. Not only has it not made me fat, it's done the opposite. Eating a diverse range of fresh veggies and fruits will give you a wide range of nutrients and as long as you stick closely to your macronutrient goals (carbs+fats+protein=calorie target) it's plenty OK if you ate a fruit with natural sugars that's also high in Vitamin C, or a pile of green veggies high in iron and calcium. Just don't forget your protein and fat sources. They're equally important.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Eating fruit and not processed food means you are ingesting the nonsoluble fiber which lowers the glycemic response to the sugar. Therefore you are much better off eating the fruit than the processed sugars.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Hello everyone,

i have been eating fruits more then i used too...i want to ask that is there any difference between carb from fruits and carb from junk food..?? or they both are just unhealthy in any way?

Fruits have mostly carbs values deriving from simple sugars. Bread, pasta, and other processed foods have different kinds of carbs, most of the time they have less sugars, less water, but can also contain a lot of fibers. You should never cut any of them, but if you have to make a choice, having more fruit is always better than having more carbs from other sources. Sugars are easily absorbed, they keep you fueled throughout the day, also fruit has vitamins and other molecules that are useful for your body. Processed foods are usually lacking of many nutrients and have more calories.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Sugar is sugar. Starch is starch. Fiber is fiber.
    So carbs are carbs.

Carbs are only "unhealthy" if you have a pathology, like diabetes or something.
    Consuming more calories than you burn will make you gain weight.

That is all.

Edited for typo. Doh! You knew what I meant!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Sugar is sugar. Starch is starch. Fiber is fiber.
    So carbs are carbs.

Consuming more calories than you eat will make you gain weight.

That is all.
    Bingo. If you want to be technical, fruits contain mostly simple carbs, while breads contain mostly complex carbs. To the body, it doesn't make a difference, as the human body has enzymes specifically created to handle them all.
  • Sugar is sugar. Starch is starch. Fiber is fiber.
    So carbs are carbs.

Consuming more calories than you eat will make you gain weight.

That is all.

Annnnnnnnd ur my favorite