Well you all converted me....

Options
I have been a runner for a while now. I have run 26 half marathons over the last 6 years. Cardio has always been my go-to exercise.

Well last week I decided to start lifting weights. I am only lifting twice a week since I am training for another half marathon. I used my set of 10 pound dumbells and my stability ball as a substitute for a bench. Today on my lunch break I went out and bought 120 pounds of weight plates plus a bar and a set of dumbbell handles. I saw a power rack that I really wanted, but I promised my husband that I will keep my investment below $200 until I stick to it for 2-3 months.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    And you'll probably find that weight training will benefit your running enormously! (as well as improving body composition)
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    And you'll probably find that weight training will benefit your running enormously! (as well as improving body composition)

That's my goal!
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Check your local Craigslist for additional equipment. :)
  • sjp_511
    Options
    Check your local Craigslist for additional equipment. :)

Thanks for the tip. I did look at Craigslist but went to the local used sporting equipment store. Their prices are very reasonable and service is excellent.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sweet! This helped my running greatly!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the contrarian here. I do not know if it will help your running or not. I don't think it really does that.
    But, I am a runner and I like lifting. It is fun and it is nice to switch things up sometimes.
  • sjp_511
    Options
    I hate to be the contrarian here. I do not know if it will help your running or not. I don't think it really does that.
    But, I am a runner and I like lifting. It is fun and it is nice to switch things up sometimes.

I run because I enjoy it. It is always nice to get a new PR, but I do races for the experience of it. I am no where near placing, so if I slow down it won't get too upset. But seriously, my half PR is around 2:35 - I don't think weight lifting will slow me down too much.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

The added glute, hamstring, quad, and core strength got me from a 3:36 marathon to a 3:23. Didn't change anything except the way I strength trained. It also helps keep me injury-free. Losing some body fat and gaining some muscle probably helped as well.

not that I'm arguing, I love running and don't do it for weight loss. I'd continue doing both no matter what.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I agree. Especially for distance runners, the performance benefits of weight training are a bit dubious.

It's a great thing to do anyway, though, as it improves fitness in other ways.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    weight training performance gains for distance runners depend solely on whether that runner is deficient in muscle groups that would effect their running, if they are, and they do the correct type of weight training to benefit a running profile, then it can help, but if their muscles are already tuned for running, then it wouldn't really help a lot, and could possibly hinder them if allowed to bulk in certain areas such as the quads and hamstrings.

for instance, a runner who trains their core and back using weighted activity can have the benefit of a much more controlled gait, which lends to less effort per stride and possibly more power per stride.

this does not apply to short distance and sprint running.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    There was a really good article posted here not long ago about the benefits of lifting for runners...I think it might have been on runner's world. Hopefully someone will remember it and be able to post it...I have it saved on my computer at home.

ETA: BTW I lift (heavy) and run. I always make sure my long runs are after a rest day so that my legs are fresh. I've not run into any problems with it so far. I'll be running my first half in March, and my first full in the fall, so I'm not running at the same level you are. But, lifting has been a great addition to my program...I've noticed my legs don't get as tired as quickly.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There was a really good article posted here not long ago about the benefits of lifting for runners...I think it might have been on runner's world. Hopefully someone will remember it and be able to post it...I have it saved on my computer at home.

This the one you're thinking of?

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/run-stronger-run-longer-how-strength-training-benefits-runners
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

This the one you're thinking of?

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/run-stronger-run-longer-how-strength-training-benefits-runners

I believe so, thank you!