Is it okay to eat Extra Lean Ground Beef everyday?

2»

Replies

• Well the data that showed the "big health problems with red meat" comes from comes from a faulty data point set, just like the old studies that said coffee was bad for you. Why? Well, coffee was VERY commonly had with a cigarette, and well smoking is a HUGE negative factor, and newer studies that account for this show health BENEFITS of coffee in all kinds of realms, but if you don't screen for this factor, then coffee drinkers (especially in previous decades) had a much higher proportion of smokers than did non-coffee drinkers and coffee looks bad for many health concerns.

This same problem is what makes most of the older studies with red meats that look at health of populations not very valid. Who was likely in decades past to eat lots of red meat, even when doctors and the media all said it was bad for you and going to kill you? Well, first off, you'd have to ignore "best advice" so this includes people who 1) wouldn't listen to doctor's advice (more likely to include smokers, non exercisers and obese than red meat limiters) and this group would have higher rates of all kinds of disease and death that could be modulated by a doctor's advice, 2) people who didn't spend time on improving health (more likely to include smokers, non-exercisers and obese), 3) people who don't monitor what they eat at all (more likely includes more obese, non-exercisers and obese people than red meat limiters), etc etc etc. And if there are 3 factors you can change to reduce your rates for almost every type of disease, these are: smoking, obesity and exercise.

Newer studies show a minor, questionable association with a few diseases like colon cancer, but these correlations seem to be more related to processed meats like sausages, bacon (yeah I know :( ) and canned processed meats, and much much weaker than the old recommendations and studies had lead us to believe. The advice of not cooking it at high temperatures and charring/burning your meat still appears to be pretty solidly linked to health issues and cancer (burning, producing heterocyclic amines) however. This high heat cooking/light charring could possibly account for the weaker negative health associations of eating red meats too however...

So all in all, if you don't have some other condition (talk to your doctor first) and dont char your daily lean ground beef, you shouldn't have to worry about a daily intake like this (unless you are talking about environmental concerns and resource usage).
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    You could use shredded chicken or turkey also. I add that to chili when I have leftovers. But if you're under your calorie goal, then it's probably not a big deal. :smile:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Yes.
  • JordanInMT
    JordanInMT Posts: 29 Member
    Go for it. You could do much MUCH worse... I'd go for something a little less lean though. Remember, fats keep you full.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    It's fine. As others have said, you could stand to have a bit more fat in your diet. You can use a fattier ground beef or add in some olive oil to fix that. I would, however, recommend varying the veggies a bit just to make sure you're getting a decent micronutrient spread.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Well, if you eat extra every day, you might cut into your deficit. I recommend not eating any extra, and just eating the usual amount.