I am SO hungry!

So I did really well in keeping within my calorie count the past couple weeks. But for some reason, this week I've been so freaking hungry! I keep overeating! It's TERRIBLE! I'm already over my calorie count... and it's only lunch.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    perhaps your weight loss goals are too aggressive. if i had to guess you went with two pounds per week amirite? that's what everyone does, including myself...it is pretty unrealistic for most people, especially if they don't have a LOT of weight to lose.

I found out pretty quickly that it was going to be much better in the long run if I had a calorie deficit that was manageable and I could stick to long term vs one that i could stick to sometimes but then blow everything up with a binge or whatever and have to start over.

Slow and steady wins the race...it's a marathon, not a sprint...and other such take it slow sayings...
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Are you getting in water? I always gulp some water now before reaching for a snack.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 220 Member
    Are you getting in water? I always gulp some water now before reaching for a snack.

I haven't had much water the past couple of days. Maybe that is it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Eat more. No really eat more 1200 calories is an aggressive target so upping your calories will help. Yes you'll lose slower but it will be sustainable. Also look for more filling foods.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Or maybe it's trying to stick to 1200 calories?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member

Yeah, no, I think it's more likely the calorie goal. 1200 calories a day is too low for most people, and especially when you don't have a lot to lose.
  • austinsneeze
    I've been fine for the past few weeks, it's just all of the sudden I'm super hungry this week.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Yeah that's what happens. You are fine for a bit and then your body starts to revolt.
    Eat more food.
  • austinsneeze
    Should I stick with the 1,200 calories, then eat more when I exercise? Or should I change my daily caloric intake altogether?
  • I'm always hungrier when it's around that TOM.
  • austinsneeze
    I'm always hungrier when it's around that TOM.

I was wondering that, but I had my period last week, so I don't know if that's it.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    I'm always hungrier when it's around that TOM.

yeah, consider where you're at in your cycle...I'm a freaking pig right now, but I know it won't last.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    I agree: 1200 calories is not enough. If you're very hungry, it's probably because you're not getting enough calories or enough quality food. Listen to your body and be good to yourself.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Up your total calories to about 1500 per day instead of 1200, and eat back at least part of your exercise calories.

Eat more fiber. It slows digestion and keeps you full longer.

Those are what works for me, hopefully they will for you as well.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Then eat? If I'm drinking all the water I need and am still hungry... I eat... I don't worry about what the calorie count says... I worry about what my body needs.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I *think* that maybe the caloric latte's may be a bit much on such a low budget. Your body probably wants more nutrient dense foods. Personally, I can't eat at 1350 calories/day and fit in a GOOD latte, daily, and not be hungry. Most of my meals revolve around protein and green veggies. I haven't had potato soup in forever, because I don't make it, because I stay hungry on it. You may be different, though. It looks like you've been working at this awhile, so, you might look at what you've changed recently (what you eat or calorie budget).

Also, Is 1200 your TDEE-20%?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    I *think* that maybe the caloric latte's may be a bit much on such a low budget. Your body probably wants more nutrient dense foods. Personally, I can't eat at 1350 calories/day and fit in a GOOD latte, daily, and not be hungry. Most of my meals revolve around protein and green veggies. I haven't had potato soup in forever, because I don't make it, because I stay hungry on it. You may be different, though. It looks like you've been working at this awhile, so, you might look at what you've changed recently (what you eat or calorie budget).

Also, Is 1200 your TDEE-20%?

^^This. Judging from your profile pic, you have done great! Congratulations on your loss :). But going from that, to looking at your diary, it may be that you need to re-evaluate your calorie goal. You've lost a good bit, and now you're VERY close to goal. Being so close, your goal might need a smaller deficit, as well as re-evaluating the types of foods that will keep you fuller for less calories.

Best of luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'd be starving at 1200 calories too... What are you going to do at maintenance? You're going to end up maintaining at 1600 instead of 2000+.. It's sad.

I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ instead of MFP, and you're supposed to eat exercise calories back with MFP, by the way.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Your calories from the days I looked at are mostly cake, rice cakes, high calorie processed foods and severely lacking in filling foods - foods with fiber and protein and things that will keep you full longer.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I'd be starving at 1200 calories too... What are you going to do at maintenance? You're going to end up maintaining at 1600 instead of 2000+.. It's sad.

I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ instead of MFP, and you're supposed to eat exercise calories back with MFP, by the way.

Well, yeah, YOU would be starving at 1200 calories, because your TDEE-20% appears to be roughly 1430 calories assuming no exercise. She *may* be a few inches shorter than you, which would make 1200 more reasonable for her. HOWEVER, if she just choose 1200 based on the standard MFP minimum, then it may not be appropriate for her height, etc.

I agree on Scooby, though