Kale Chips!!!

Options
xonophone
xonophone Posts: 474 Member
OMG, a friend of mine gave me a recipe for kale chips, which she swore are better than potato chips, and I must say she was absolutely right! I feel the need to share it with the MFP community and hope someone else enjoys this healthy snack as much as I did. In fact, my husband even enjoyed them so much he insisted I make a second batch....and he hates kale! So here goes:

1 bunch of kale, washed and dried with the mid-rib removed. (I use a salad spinner to dry)
1 TBS olive oil
Kosher salt

Spread the olive oil over a cookie sheet with a basting brush. Press the kale leaves down on the oil, then flip them over and press the opposite side down into the oil. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 10 minutes, or until the leaves are crispy and dry. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy. Easy-peasy!!

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Wow. Wow..... I can't believe I'm contemplating going to the store for Kale at 8 PM...... I'm hoping I can hold out until tomorrow!
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Sounds good will need to make these for our family vacation.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I am FOR SURE going to do this! Do you know the calories? etc? or just enter all the stuff in the food diary?
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have to try these!!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    We had kale chips on Sunday night. Yum <3
    I usually use a little balsamic as well to make salt and vinegar kale.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am FOR SURE going to do this! Do you know the calories? etc? or just enter all the stuff in the food diary?

I jus enter the items individually. I ate the equivalent of 2 cups of raw kale plus 1/2 TBS EVOO, which amounts to approx 120 cals. But they are 120 healthy calories, after all evoo is a good fat and kale is really good for you!
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    think i could do the same thing with cabbage?
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

I jus enter the items individually. I ate the equivalent of 2 cups of raw kale plus 1/2 TBS EVOO, which amounts to approx 120 cals. But they are 120 healthy calories, after all evoo is a good fat and kale is really good for you!

Awesome thanks! I may be going to the store after work today :)
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have to try these!!
    omg I just tried these (finally picked up some kale yesterday) and made 2 batches of these and ate them all myself! These are SO good, they totally give you that salty chip fix. I think these are a really good substitute for anyone who likes plain regular salty potato chips...they have a very similar taste.

I sprinkled a little too much salt on the first batch, also overcooked them slightly (it took less than 10 mins for me) but they were still good! Anyway there's a little trial and error to cooking them right. But totally worth it!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Never have I heard of these, but I'll try anything once....I've had braised kale, but never baked chips (: thanks for the recipe
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I finally tried it. I was pleasantly surprised.

You can adjust/lower calories by using a Misto sprayer with EVOO or just Pam spray.

Kale is a superfood, so eat up!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    i've never had kale, but all your posts are making me wanna try because I love chips!
  • cfgordon
    Options
    i've made these and really like them. one tip, make sure the kale is really dry before you roast it or it will just steam and won't be crunchy.
  • TIGHTFANTASTIC
    Options
    What is Kale and where can I buy it?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You can buy kale at any grocery I believe.

It is the curly lettuce green that is used as decoration under buffetts and such. Google it for a picture.
  • IAM125lbs
    IAM125lbs Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump, I don't know why because I don't like kale but you have me convinced to try it
  • rainbowsmoothie
    rainbowsmoothie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a really great idea. I'm going to try it with spinach, hoping for a similar result. Tried it and it does work with spinach. Yum
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just bought Kale yesterday after reading a similar recipe on HEALTH magazine: CRISPY TAMARI KALE CHIPS

- Combine 2 teaspoons olive oil, tamari, and sherry vinegar
    - Toss with 1/2 pound kale (about six cups)
    - Divide kale mixture among 2 shallow baking pans; bake at 425 until crisp and golden (about 15 min)
    - When done sprinkle 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.

Nutrition Facts: Serving size 1 1/2 cups. Calories 84, Fat 4g

I will try it and post the results... Can't wait
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Do you bake them on the same cookie sheet that the olive oil is on, or do you put them on a clean cookie sheet?
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    OMG.... So I just made and ate the kale chips!!! they taste amazing!!!

I think the next time I make them (soon) I will turn down the cooking temp a bit. 425 was too hot and some got a little burned. Also I will probably omit the EVOO or use a substitute so I can enjoy more without the guilt of the extra calories!!

The best part is that it was soooooo quick, it too all but like 10 minutes!!! the longest part was waiting for my over to preheat!!! :wink: