Weight vs Repetition Amount

Options
I just started to weight train couple weeks back and today it occurred to me that I have not Idea of how to do it properly.

I been just doing couple sets in here some over there. I trying to get leaner at the moment i'm not interested in bulking.

I don't how much I should be doing and what muscles group I should train together.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I suggest you use a set program and not freestyle your lifts.

Good beginner's programs are Starting Strength, StrongLifts or New Rules Of Lifting

You wanna start with a good base before trying to build your own program
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ^^ What she said.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I suggest you use a set program and not freestyle your lifts.

Good beginner's programs are Starting Strength, StrongLifts or New Rules Of Lifting

You wanna start with a good base before trying to build your own program

This!

If you want something simple to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would start with starting strength personally. But basically it's not rocket science. Do the following: bench press (I prefer flat and incline), overhead press, pullups, Dips, squats, deadlifts, rows (I prefer bent over barbell). Put enough weight on that it is challenging to get 5-12 reps each set.......do each set 2-5 times. Each week try to add a little bit of weight or a rep.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Leaner as to do 100% with your diet, nothing to do with what exercise you do.

Diet = Lose/Maintain/Gain Weight (be it Fat or Muscle)
    Cardio = Most time efficient way to burn calories, Great for cardiovascular health and conditiong, Not *required* to burn fat
    Heavy Lifting = Burns lots of calories, Builds strength, Builds or Maintains Muscle

Recipe for Toned Look = Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

You have to eat a surplus to put on any appreciable muscle, and some of the weight gain will be fat as well. And the whole process is slow.

My book recommendation, and I swear on my life it will help you, New Rules of Lifting.
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    great advice. thanks all of you!
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Leaner as to do 100% with your diet, nothing to do with what exercise you do.

Diet = Lose/Maintain/Gain Weight (be it Fat or Muscle)
    Cardio = Most time efficient way to burn calories, Great for cardiovascular health and conditiong, Not *required* to burn fat
    Heavy Lifting = Burns lots of calories, Builds strength, Builds or Maintains Muscle

Recipe for Toned Look = Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

You have to eat a surplus to put on any appreciable muscle, and some of the weight gain will be fat as well. And the whole process is slow.

My book recommendation, and I swear on my life it will help you, New Rules of Lifting.

:heart: :heart: :heart: