Need information

Options
Athijade
Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
This isn't for me, but for someone who I feel has been blinded by false information. I would like to be able to give them some scientific backing (though not even sure it would help). So I am reaching out to those on MFP who I KNOW have this information tucked somewhere safe.

1) That the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is nothing more then an infomercial and is not 100% accurate

2) The amount of protein that is needed during weight loss to help prevent the loss of muscle mass

3) That fad diets (such as juicing most, if not all, your meals) does not lead to sustainable or healthy weight loss

4) The healthy amounts of weight loss based off of how much you have to lose

Thanks all!

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    1. It's an interesting "documentary" but it is definitely an infomercial, which challenges its authenticity.
    2. 1 gram protein per 1 lb lean body muscle. Subtract BF% from 100%, then multiply by total weight. I.e. BF 20% for someone weight 150 would multiply 80% by 150 = 120 g protein. More if trying to build muscle.
    3. Any highly restrictive diet is hard to maintain, juicing every meal included.
    4. 1-2 lbs. per week.
  • michael300891
    Options
    1. The documentary focused to much on the juicing concept and not the reality of the diet i.e. less calorie intake which caused the weight loss and yes infomercial.

2. 1.2-1.8g/kg/day protein with the higher end more appropriate for greater calorie deficits. Protein sources should include whey after a workout with adequate leucine to maximise anabolic response but for rest of day micellar casein is useful to maintain a high amino acid concentration in the blood (aminoacidemia). From that I would recommend high quality protein such as chicken beef etc during the day, a whey post-exercise shake and a casein shake before bed to keep muscle protein synthesis high and minimise muscle protein breakdown.

3. Adherance is terrible in most non-restrictive diets. The more restrictive and extreme diets get, the worse the results are. 4 out of 5 people who lost weight will have regained it within one year anyway (a depressing statistic I know) - this is much worse when the diet was not accompanied by sustainable lifestyle alterations such as increasing exercise and altering dietary profile.

4. 1-2lbs/week for most individuals, some obese can healthily lose far more than that. Remember, 1 lb fat = 3500kcal so 1b/week = a deficit of 500kcal/day...

When people want to loose 4lbs a week they are really saying they want a deficit of 2000kcal. I.e. for most women and many men no food... Not really gonna work!

Sources:

REPS level 3 accredited personal trainer
    First class B.Sc. in Sport & Exercise Science University of Birmingham (Inc Sports Nutrition Module)
    Currently completing a PhD in Cellular mechanisms of skeletal muscle adaptation to exercise.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    1. It's an interesting "documentary" but it is definitely an infomercial, which challenges its authenticity.
    2. 1 gram protein per 1 lb lean body muscle. Subtract BF% from 100%, then multiply by total weight. I.e. BF 20% for someone weight 150 would multiply 80% by 150 = 120 g protein. More if trying to build muscle.
    3. Any highly restrictive diet is hard to maintain, juicing every meal included.
    4. 1-2 lbs. per week.

See, I told them all that, but they don't want to believe me. They want "proof" even though they refuse to back their own "information" with "proof" besides repeating that stupid documentary.

Though that equation is helpful!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Oh noooooooo!!! actual scientific data with numbers and stuff ??? I just want to watch a short movie and become an expert on nutrition. That is how I know so much about training. I read a small line or paragraph, and now I am an instant expert.