Dumbbell help....please.

Options
I'm getting a little bored with walking on the treadmill everyday so I purchased a set of dumbbells, 3,5,and 8lbs. Now what do I do with them? I still have about 100lbs to lose but am pretty active.

Due to a back injury, and nerve damage to my right leg the treadmill is really the only cardio that I am comfortable doing. I do 60 minutes, 5 days a week. I'm looking to break it up a little bit with the weights.

Where do I start with the weights? Does anyone have any suggestions on a routine, program, YouTube video I could follow?

Thanks!

Replies

• jgthomas78
    Options
    This is from Fitness magazine

Ideally, a strength workout should include 8 to 10 exercises targeting the major muscle groups. Beginners can start out by using two sets of dumbbells (3 to 5 pounds and 8 to 12 pounds) or a set of resistance bands. Try the following exercises, doing 2 sets of 10 to 15 reps each.
    Get more beginner-friendly workouts >>

1. Dumbbell chest press (works chest)
    Lie on a bench, elbows bent 90 degrees out to sides; straighten arms up and return.
    2. One-arm dumbbell row (works upper back)
    Stand with legs hip-width apart and place one hand on bench, opposite arm holding weight; draw elbow up toward ribs and lower.
    3. Biceps curl (works biceps)
    Stand with arms extended, palms up, and curl weights toward shoulders.
    4. Triceps extension (works triceps)
    Stand with legs hip-width apart. Lean forward from waist, elbows bent 90 degrees at your sides; straighten arms behind you.
    5. Lateral raise (works shoulders)
    Stand with arms down by your sides, palms in; raise straight arms to shoulder height.
    6. Basic squat (works legs/butt)
    7. Front lunge (works legs/butt)
    8. Bicycle (works abs)
    Lie face-up on floor, bend opposite elbow to knee, then switch sides.
    9. Superman (works lower back)
    Lie facedown on floor and lift opposite arm/leg; switch sides.

I google workouts a lot to vary my routines. Good Luck!!
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Unfortunately, they may be too light (15 to 30s is generally right for females).

Some good exercises for these are:

+ Hammer curls
    + Goblet squats
    + Overhead Press
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Go to Fitness Blender (fitnessblender.com). They have hundreds of video workouts that are perfect for starting out with a weight set like that.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I agree that they will most likely be too light. They could serve a purpose for maybe a week or two, but I think you'll want something heavier. If you're really interested in strength training, and I highly recommend it, I would find the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Though.... that may mean you can't do the workouts at home, it's a wonderful place to start.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I use the smaller weight for shoulder exercises.

3-5lbs is about right for me currently, I know I will be using them for awhile.

I use 8lbs for arm exercises and deadlifts.
    And for extra weight for lunges and squats
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I also have back issues and I beg of you to ignore all of the nay sayers who say you need heavier and now. When my back is at its worst, I am not supposed to lift more than 20 lbs at a time, so insisting on heavier weights would mean I couldn't work out when I most need to.

Since you have an existing medical issue, please consult with your doctor and/or physical therapist before starting a new routine. I would also ask them about other kinds of cardio, such as swimming and biking, which can put even less stress on your back than walking.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think those sizes are just right if you do more reps. I go to a class where we use 2.5, 5, 7.5 and 10 pound weights, and the 2.5 and 5 get used most often because of the number of reps we do. The instructor goes for muscle fatigue, and we get there every time.
    Go to a library and find some books or videos that can help you with form which is very important to sucess. Good luck.
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    I don't think they are too light at all. Just use your heavier ones for bigger muscle groups and lighter with smaller muscle groups.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    What kind of back injury? Mine is probably quite different, but who knows? I have many lifts I never do (no way, no how) and several I swear by. I use dumbbells for upper body because of my back/neck problem. I can't be picking up heavy barbells, unfortunately. I do crawl under mine for glute bridges :D
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, they may be too light (15 to 30s is generally right for females).

Some good exercises for these are:

+ Hammer curls
    + Goblet squats
    + Overhead Press

This, plus

Single arm dumbbell rows
    Overhead tricep extensions
    Calf raises
    Lunges
    etc.

That said, I personally would return them and buy a bench and barbell with plates :flowerforyou:
  • mlauster
    Options
    I am fused from L3-S1 with spinal cord compression and C8-T1 bulging disc all from spinal stenosis/degenerative disc decease. I can't lift heavy at all. I have right leg and foot neuropathy and decreased muscle strength/stability. My dr. has cleared me to use weights up to 10lbs.
  • losingwhatican
    losingwhatican Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Blogilates on Youtube uses low/no weights and high reps, and it's a great workout! I'll be swearing at the screen while Cassey Ho's cheerfully chatting away about her new nail polish or the next bodybuilding competition she's entering. She's really sweet and encouraging, and the workouts are killer. I can't recommend her enough.
  • mlauster
    Options
    Blogilates on Youtube uses low/no weights and high reps, and it's a great workout! I'll be swearing at the screen while Cassey Ho's cheerfully chatting away about her new nail polish or the next bodybuilding competition she's entering. She's really sweet and encouraging, and the workouts are killer. I can't recommend her enough.

exactly what I was looking for! Thanks
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you've got a smart phone, grab the Nike Training Club app as well - it's free and loaded with over 100 workouts, many use dumbbells.