For Successful Losers: Do You Still See Yourself as Fat?

Options
12346»

Replies

• bethcox16
    bethcox16 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    to be honest, reading the replies to this thread has actually really helped me, because even now i still look in the mirror and see the person i started off at, even though I've lost a ft round my waist i still feel like i look the same, but after reading hat actually a lot of people go through the same feelings, i might just have to stop being so conscious about whether i look fat or not, and start thinking about what an incredible achievement we've all done and not give two monkeys bottoms!!!
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost anywhere near the weight I need to and am still in the obese catagory (though at this point I'm not much in it) but I did recently find out I'm not as fat as I think I am.

There's a woman at work that I thought was skinnier than me, in fact I never even noticed she was overweight and still don't really see it. The other day she offered me a pair of work pants because they're a size too small for her. They were one to two sizes too big for me! I just thought, "I can't believe that she's bigger than me!"

Even though I'm not really a successful loser, I thought this might help.
  • chollylops
    chollylops Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think if you have spent many years 'fat' and avoided having photos taken and actually looking at yourself in the mirror it then takes a while to see the new you. I would catch glimpses of myself or see a photo and for a short moment not realise that was me! It wasn't until a stranger in a supermarket ( who was choosing ice - cream next to my daughter) made a comment that I realised that actually people didn't see me as a big fat woman anymore either ( he said I didn't have to worry as I was so slim) I told him he didn't realise how much those words meant ( must have thought I was a bit strange ha ha) I'm used to seeing the new me now and am shocked when I see old photos as I don't recognise fat me anymore but it took a long time for it to be that way round!

Edit - I also realise my transformation when I see people who I haven't for a few years and they meet the slimmer me - the shock factor is still there! My answer is oh I obviously haven't seen you for a few years! I also find it interesting the amount of people I haven't seen in a few months that have said oh your thinner than ever and in fact I am not I am heavier than I have been but maybe due to exercise /toning I look better?
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I think my answer would be yes.

I've reached my goal weight and it's well within the height/weight ratio recommended by my GP - but I still have a 'beer' belly (I don't drink that much beer these days). I think we're now down to exercise and toning to remove some of this, but I'd still class my shape as 'fat'.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    No, I no longer see myself as fat. I do see myself as someone who still has more weight to lose, but I feel like I look like a normal, average-weight person now.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Some days I do, some days I don't. Keeping old "before" pics around helps. I also have a couple of old shirts and pants from my former really fat days. Mirror can play tricks on your mind so I try not to focus to much on it. I instead look for other ways to remind myself that I am no longer as fat as I was like being able to climb a few flights of stairs and not be winded or fitting into booths at restaurants.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    am close to goal. I like what I see when I'm clothed, but I always feel like the big girl compared to other people.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Im not at my goal weight yet, but I define myself as a success. I went from a size 16 to a size 6, I still have weight to lose, and some of my 6's are baggy.

I look in the mirror and see fat. I see the tiny bulge where my loose skin is, or that tiny bit of bra bulge and think yuck.

I tell myself that I need to be better to myself, a year ago I thought a size 6 was beyond my body's capabilities.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily see myself as fat, but more out of shape. I see jiggles, which I know is some skin and loss of muscle tone (which I'm working on). Either way, I don't like looking in the mirror, but that's just me.
  • EllennD
    EllennD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I still see myself as big, even after a massive loss i have days where i look at myself and think i havent changed

clearly in my profile pic i have but i agree it will take time for my brain to catch up (or so im hoping)