Bite-size Facts

Options
1. Cutting out mostly fat intake alone doesn't guarantee weight loss success, it's possible to still store fat if you consume too carbohydrates at each meal.

2. Drinking water throughout the day can help revitalize the body's cells and enable them to operate more efficiently giving you more energy for exercising to burn off fat.

3. As we lose weight, it becomes harder to lose even more until eventually we hit that dreaded plateau. For this reason, we should be changing exercise routines and diets on a regular basis in order to adjust for those physiological changes!

4. Using the scales in order to monitor progress is one mistake many dieters make. They place too much emphasis on losing weight over losing body fat. You should concentrate on losing body fat AND try to maintain lean body weight. When this happens our body composition changes, leaving us lean, shapely and fit. With an increased metabolism it enables us to keep the fat weight off for years to come!

5. The secret to keeping up regular exercise is to make it fun rather than seeing it as a chore that must be done. The trick is to take up an activity with a friend, maybe tennis, swimming or bowling. This can be good for both, as one can motivate the other at difficult times when you feel drained. Making it fun will keep you motivated to having fun and enjoying rather than exercising, and before you know it the weight will soon come off.

6. Fat contains more than twice the amount of calories per gram than protein or carbohydrates. So the reason behind cutting out most fat in the diet is that you will automatically reduce energy intake without reducing food intake too much.

7. From a health standpoint, polyunsaturated and unsaturated fats are better for us than saturated fats. However, for weight control purposes, all dietary fats and oils contain the same amount of energy, thus you should be looking at reducing them when trying to lose weight.

8. The fats and oils present in most food gives it that satisfying taste. This is probably the reason why our favorite foods are usually the ones that we should avoid when trying to lose weight.

9. Performing intense anaerobic exercises such as weight training, does not burn fat directly but, it could elevate the metabolism for some time after the workout has finished. How much the metabolism rises will depend on the individual and how hard they train during the workout.

10. To burn fat directly we should be exercising continuously, and at low levels of effort for at least 20 minutes. As a guide, you should be able to hold a conversation during training. If this is not possible, due to heavy breathing, then you're probably exercising too hard and will not be burning off excess fat for energy. Walking is an example of a good fat-burning exercise.

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • SaraB37
    SaraB37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your #10 is just what I wanted to read! I'm not a runner but have recently found a liking to walking and hiking. My fear was that by not running, weight loss was not going to be possible without a severe diet change. I'm going to keep on walking and it may take longer but I'm going to enjoy every step!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    [/quote]10. To burn fat directly we should be exercising continuously, and at low levels of effort for at least 20 minutes. As a guide, you should be able to hold a conversation during training. If this is not possible, due to heavy breathing, then you're probably exercising too hard and will not be burning off excess fat for energy. Walking is an example of a good fat-burning exercise.
    [/quote]

Studies have shown that with more intense cardio, you burn more calories, but a lower percentage of fat calories. But with the higher calorie burn, fat calorie burn is usually higher as well, {even though the "percentage" is lower}.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Yep 10 is awesome! I love to walk