Question for you Old Farts.....

Options

Replies

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Do you take Ibuprofen before or after your workout? :blushing:

I generally take a handful of ibuprofen and acetaminophen after a hard workout.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    53 here. I avoid using Ibuprophen unless I actually injure myself... Which means not in many months despite running many hundreds of kilometres.

Instead of relying on a NSAID, try building up slowly into your exercise routine. Warm up. Stretch afterwards. Don't try to conquer Rome in one day.

You might consider a lower carb, higher fat diet. That and exercise leaves many feeling years younger due to reduced inflammation, among other benefits.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Do you take Ibuprofen before or after your workout? :blushing:

Neither. It's bad for you.

Instead: Proper warm up, workout, proper cool down. Stretch and use the foam roller in the evening for a 10 minute "rub out the issues" session.

Proper nutrition and recovery. No need for medicinal masking agents. Well, there is wine and beer....

This. I make sure I have a proper warm up and cool down. I have a cold shower and a protein shake. No pain relief.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I rarely use it lately because I'm not as stiff as when I first started getting back in condition. I make sure I stretch before each workout....if I don't; I pay the price.
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When you said "old farts," I know you were talking to me. I will be 49 years old next week! LOL!!!

I do. Most mornings I take 2 ibuprofen to help with my joint aches. I get to the gym when it opens at 5:30am. I am a treadmill addict and make sure I stretch before I put in an hour+ on the treadmill. When I do my outdoor walks, I take 2 also. I think it helps. I take a good multivitamin. I try to also take an Omega 3 supplement, when I remember. However, at my age . . . memory often fails!!!

Smiles,
    Em aka BrownSheep
  • BrownSheep
    Options
    I rarely use it lately because I'm not as stiff as when I first started getting back in condition. I make sure I stretch before each workout....if I don't; I pay the price.

I hear you on that stretching. If I do not stretch first, I get real tightness in my hamstrings and calves.
  • BrownSheep
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    53 here. I avoid using Ibuprophen unless I actually injure myself... Which means not in many months despite running many hundreds of kilometres.

Instead of relying on a NSAID, try building up slowly into your exercise routine. Warm up. Stretch afterwards. Don't try to conquer Rome in one day.

You might consider a lower carb, higher fat diet. That and exercise leaves many feeling years younger due to reduced inflammation, among other benefits.

Do you think that Omega 3 supplements help in the same way adding fat to the diet does. I eat a very low fat diet. Thanks for your thoughts.

• BrownSheep
    Options
    fleetzz wrote: »
    Bad for the heart, bad for the kidneys, bad for the stomach, great for pain. Higher risk of MI.

Is it worth it? I use it occasionally, but not for exercise related pain and I use high doses (800mg). But you should check w/ your doc to see if it is appropriate for you.

Is MI=myocardial infarction?
  • BrownSheep
    Options
    This thread is making me rethink my use of ibuprofen. I get my liver checked regularly due to other meds I am on and my liver function is fine. However, I think I will try some days without the ibuprofen and see how I feel.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and Alleve afterwards... my personal AA "meeting" for recovery... :smile:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you're having to take pain meds to cope with your training schedule then you need to have a second look at it.

Or incorporate some soft tissue work to counterbalance the yang stuff.

Or grow a pair.

:)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally take Aleve before a long hike because I have osteoarthritis in my right foot and it helps keep the inflammation down. I found that prevention is easier than trying to remove the pain once it flares up. Otherwise, I only take it if I am actually in pain.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It's better to warm up and be hydrated before exercise. Ibuprofen, IMO, should be used as a last resort after exercise and after all else has failed. It's not a good idea to mask pain during exercise. Foam rolling and replacing every ounce of of sweat lost with water helps me. Ibuprofen too--when all else has failed.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my feet and so I take an Aleve in the AM and one at night per my physician's recommendation. It has made a "huge" difference. I am virtually pain free most of the time. I do know that ibuprofen can be really hard on your stomach, so I avoid taking that for the most part.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Now why did I see the title of this thread and immediately think it was addressed to me lol. Both my g.p. and rheumatologist said to stay away from Aleve because of possible kidney damage and stomach issues. They are not crazy about ibuprofen for the same reasons. I take tylenol for arthritis pain and have frequent liver function tests. If you are having to take pain killers every time you work out you might need to rethink your routine and recovery methods. There have been some great suggestions in the above posts. Constant chemical painkillers can't be good for you and they become less effective over time. I think getting older sucks and no I can't do everything the same way that I used to, but making changes to my workouts means that I can stay fit without suffering inbetween sessions.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Stuff eats up your GI tract. Use sparingly if at all.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lower back discomfort.

About a month ago I started "yoga flex" and am amazed at what it does for lower back pain. You might want to look into it. I have AO pretty bad, but manage to live with it, and keep very active with swimming, acqua gym and walking. I am originally from Minnesota, living in Rome, Italy for 30 years. I take very few meds--just as desperation methods, and as little as possible. I do take Fexamin, cod liver oil capsules, potassium, and melatonin. I resist at 60 pretty well. Good luck, and keep trying new things. B)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    Now why did I see the title of this thread and immediately think it was addressed to me lol. Both my g.p. and rheumatologist said to stay away from Aleve because of possible kidney damage and stomach issues. They are not crazy about ibuprofen for the same reasons. I take tylenol for arthritis pain and have frequent liver function tests.

My doctor has told me to use it (Aleve) sparingly for just that reason but if I have to, I should. Tylenol does nothing for me. My last EGFR was in the 80's so my kidneys are working just fine still. It was down in the 40's when I was first prescribed metformin for T2 diabetes so she took me off that and prescribed glipizide instead. 11 months after diagnosis, I was off all diabetes meds and am managing with diet and exercise alone. My occasional dose of Aleve is not causing any trouble.

She prescribed Voltaren gel which is an NSAID topical gel that I use on my foot if I do get an arthritis flare-up but does not go through the stomach or kidneys. A dose of that and an Ace bandage does a good job if my foot is giving me trouble.