Shin Splints...what can I do?

Options
So if anyone with any experience wit shin splints can help me that would be great. A couple of weeks ago I increased the length of my runs (on the treadmill) and I think I have developed shin splints. I am new to running and have no idea what do do. Do I take a break from running or just keep going? Any any advice would help out.

Replies

• msflores75
    Options
    I have the exact same issue and I actually had to stop my treadmill route tonight because of it. I am starting to wonder if it is my shoes and not actually shin splints?!?! Good luck.
  • bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! They're so bad sometimes that I can't even stand up any longer. In for any advice that follows.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Take a break, trust me on this, it is not something you can push through, it just gets worse (experience talking)

Some ways to prevent/help them are

strengthen your legs (calves, hamstring, quads etc)
    get proper running shoes
    try compression leggings
    foam rolling
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had them pretty bad several months ago and my trainer said to lower the incline on my treadmill to take some of the stress off. It was so bad I could only walk for about 10 min because of the pain. I still feel my shins hurting a little so always try to be aware of how hard I'm pushing.
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I am going to try taking a break and just walk but what is foam rolling?
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I was told to ice my shins and that did help.

I also remembered some advice I heard years ago to help eliminate shin splits. While standing touch your toe to the ground (like a ballet dancer) then flex your foot and touch your heel to the ground. Do this per foot for a few minutes a couple times a day for as many days as you need to. I've never had shin splints since and I haven't done this little exercise in years. Good luck!
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints are due to a muscle imbalance in your lower leg. Your calves are too tight and/or too strong compared to the muscles on the front of your leg (tibialis anterior, extensor hallucis longus, extensor digitorum longus). First, ice, NSAIDs (advil, aleve, etc.), and rest until the inflammation goes down. Then start to work on correcting the imbalance.

1) Stretch your achilles tendons and calves for 30 seconds at a time several times a day
    2) Work on dorsiflexion, that is bending at your ankle like you are trying to touch your toes to your shins. You can do this at work or on the couch just by tapping your toes. Do sets of 50-100. You can go slow or fast, doesn't really matter as long as the muscles on the front of your leg are firing so they can begin to strengthen.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is a type of stretching (think kind of like a massage)

I learned about it from my physiotherapist.

You can google to learn more about it.

(Since I don't know much other then what my physiotherapist told me I don't want to give out any incorrect information)

PS: I will be taking and trying out the other tips here
  • souti_in_oz
    Options
    Take a break, trust me on this, it is not something you can push through, it just gets worse (experience talking)

Some ways to prevent/help them are

strengthen your legs (calves, hamstring, quads etc)
    get proper running shoes
    try compression leggings
    foam rolling

I suffer from shin splints, now at the gym i do alot more legs work (everyone fotgets about legs at the gym) I wear compression leggings and use nike free runners - the best shoes invention EVER! They are annoying but with the above mentioned items it does make them easier to deal with. They never go away unless opperated on.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Calf supporters were the only thing that worked for me.

Rigger
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been gearing about compression leggings for some time. I am definitely going to give these a try as well. I have taken a break from running for now but am continuing to walk. And going to continue with the strength training.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. You might be going too hard too soon. There are great programs out there that start you at walking and take you all the way to 5ks, 10ks, marathons...

Make sure you're using a legit pair of running shoes. Going to a running shop will be your best bet, and investing in a good pair of shoes will be worth the money.

Shin splints result from too much impact. A good pair of shoes and a steady stride will mitigate or do away with splints.

Also take a break, a few days or a week off. Give yourself a chance to heal up.
  • krs4747
    krs4747 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Toe taps. Seriously. I used to get horrible shin pains, and someone told me just to do toe taps sitting at a desk or in the car or wherever. Enough to feel that stretch and as many reps as you can do w/o feeling major fatigue. I started doing just a little bit on the way to the gym and it helped immensely. Haven't really had a problem with them since (and that's been years).
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Get a better shoe with proper arch support? At least that took most of my shin splints away.

ETA: this really only works if you didn't have the proper running shoe to begin with though.
  • jlarson123
    Options
    Try taking extra magnesium. Most people are deficient in this critical mineral. It's essential for muscles to be able to relax. I'd highly recommend the powdered drink form, such as "Natural Calm" (I have no connection with this company), as I find it much more effective than the pills. It's also been a great stress-reliever for me at work.
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Make sure you're using a legit pair of running shoes. Going to a running shop will be your best bet, and investing in a good pair of shoes will be worth the money.

^^^ this ^^^

When I trained for my first 5k, I suffered terribly with shin splints. Got properly fitted for running shoes at a shop where they video and analyse your running style on a treadmill - they found I over-pronate badly. With new shoes to correct this, my shin splits vanished immediately, and I floated round the course. Worth every penny and I will never buy trainers again without trialling them the same way in the shop!
  • lovemuffin6
    Options
    To avoid them good shoes and stretching your calves before you run is important but it could be you ran too far too fast, guidelines are to increase mileage no more than 10% a week.

The best thing you can do it not run at all, or run very little till your shins are healed which can take anywhere from a few days to months sadly. But painkillers, hot baths, stretching and ice can help as well.

If the pain is excruciating it could be the type of shin splints where there's a tiny fracture in the bone, so it would be good if you could go to your doctor and get xrays done because you don't want to make it worse. Normally it's just inflamed muscle though!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints are due to a muscle imbalance in your lower leg. Your calves are too tight and/or too strong compared to the muscles on the front of your leg (tibialis anterior, extensor hallucis longus, extensor digitorum longus). First, ice, NSAIDs (advil, aleve, etc.), and rest until the inflammation goes down. Then start to work on correcting the imbalance.

1) Stretch your achilles tendons and calves for 30 seconds at a time several times a day
    2) Work on dorsiflexion, that is bending at your ankle like you are trying to touch your toes to your shins. You can do this at work or on the couch just by tapping your toes. Do sets of 50-100. You can go slow or fast, doesn't really matter as long as the muscles on the front of your leg are firing so they can begin to strengthen.

THIS....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options

This is exactly what my physiotherapist prescribed when I had shin splints. An easy calf stretch is to place the edge of cutting board on a phonebook. Stand with your toes raised on the slanted board for several minutes at a time, a couple of times a day. i set this up in front of the washbasin, etc, so could do this while brushing my teeth or during food prep.
  • Chantilly_laced
    Options
    I had shin splints and foam rolling saved my life! Have someone else do it for you, because (as my trainer so smartly put it) once we feel the pain ourselves, we won't push hard enough on the roll. It does initially hurt, but it gets better! :glasses:

I also found that the more I pushed on (not necessarily the day I really felt like I couldn't walk any further) and kept running, the faster they went away. Be consistent with your running. I stopped my routine for a few months due to increased stress/work issues and now I have shin splints again that I have to work through! :grumble:

It'll get better!