Celery...?

Options
2»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OP said she doesn't like ants on a log, which is celery with PB and raisins.

Oops! I never knew the "technical" term for it. My mistake!

LOL, I wasn't trying to single you out....just wanted to clear that up before she gets a few pages of peanut butter suggestions.

It would be my first choice, too.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love celery.

I use it in a lot of things.

Stews, pasta sauces, soups - celery soup and other veggie soups.
    Roasted in the oven with other veggies, such as onion, carrots, courgette. Totally changes the taste and texture.
    Raw as a crudité to transport hummus and other dips to my mouth
    filled with cottage cheese or pb.

There is nothing wrong with freezing it - chop up first so it's ready to add straight to the pan. But, as said upthread, only if you are going to be using it in a cooked dish.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I put it in soups and stews to bulk them out. Or eaten raw with dips (houmus, greek yogurt and herbs etc.)

It does keep well in the fridge, btw. at least a week. If it starts to go limp, just leave it in a glass of water for an hour or so - crisps it straight back up. You can even put it in coloured water, it takes up the dye (use food dye, obviously!) Nothing freaks people out as much as sticks of blue celery! :laugh:
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    OP said she doesn't like ants on a log, which is celery with PB and raisins.

Oops! I never knew the "technical" term for it. My mistake!

LOL, I wasn't trying to single you out....just wanted to clear that up before she gets a few pages of peanut butter suggestions.

It would be my first choice, too.

Haha I don't know why I assumed everyone would know what "ants on a log" was. That was silly of me. I love PB and raisins. Just can't love that celery taste in there.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Esp. for preserving it. I could eat the whole thing as a snack with dip if it wouldn't go bad on me so quickly so those are very useful tips.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love celery.

I use it in a lot of things.

Stews, pasta sauces, soups - celery soup and other veggie soups.
    Roasted in the oven with other veggies, such as onion, carrots, courgette. Totally changes the taste and texture.
    Raw as a crudité to transport hummus and other dips to my mouth
    filled with cottage cheese or pb.

There is nothing wrong with freezing it - chop up first so it's ready to add straight to the pan. But, as said upthread, only if you are going to be using it in a cooked dish.

I make roasted veggies almost every day (baby potatoes, carrots, parsnip, mushroom, pepper, onion zucchini, caulliflower) and has thought about throwing celery in but thought it might get soggy or something. I will throw a bunch in with my roasted veggies tonight!
  • kriskel
    kriskel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I cut mine up into smaller sticks and put it in some water in the fridge. Seems to last A LOT longer.

I put small cut up pieces of cheddar cheese on it or dip them, yummy!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you take it out of the plastic and wrap it in tinfoil, it'll last longer. Heard that on a tv show or something a while back and it works pretty well! I'd also recommend adding it to soups, sauces, stir-fries and even jambalaya! Yum!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    chop it up and drizzle a vinaigrette dressing over it. Delicious!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sweat it down with some onions and carrots - makes a great base for some slow-cooked beef stew - something with a higher fat content like chuck would be ideal.
  • 2knowmeis2luvme
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP's. I'm not big on cooking which has caused me issues in the past with losing weight. I'm looking for recipes of items I can make in bulk. For example over the weekend I made a turkey lasagna which lasted a few days. Any suggestions on dishes I can prepare in bulk?
  • leaner426
    Options
    Cottage cheese is my favorite chip dip. It's great with anything crunchy or salty.
  • leaner426
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP's. I'm not big on cooking which has caused me issues in the past with losing weight. I'm looking for recipes of items I can make in bulk. For example over the weekend I made a turkey lasagna which lasted a few days. Any suggestions on dishes I can prepare in bulk?

I'd suggest making this a separate topic. I think you'd get lots of responses.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this tomorrow

http://kosherlowcarbliving.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/crispy-baked-celery-fries/

Ingredients:
    2-3 Large stalks of Celery
    2 tbsp Grape Seed Oil or Oil of choice (or more if needed).
    1tsp Sea Salt
    sprinkle of Garlic powder or seasoning of choice (optional)

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 450%
    Grease 9×13 baking dish with some of the oil.

Wash Celery and cut into thin sticks and arrange in dish. Drizzle the remaining oil over the celery sticks and sprinkle with salt and seasoning.

Bake in the oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until crispy and golden.

I have a snacking fetish though so I try baking all vegetables at least once :happy:

If you decide to make this be sure to wash your celery well ahead of time so that it is thoroughly dry or it will not get as nice and crispy. Water let on it from washing can make it more limp.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Cream of celery soup. I just made it the other day!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    call me crazy but I just like it raw on it's own also good with hummus