Not Enough Calories Conundrum

Options
Well this is an interesting problem...I'm full, it's the end of the night, and I NEED to eat a bare minimum of 14 calories to hit 1,200 but that doesn't count the 320 calories the FitBit says I worked off walking around Walmart. This used to be a problem with Weight Watchers as well, I'd do so well during the day that I'd end up with WAY too many extra points at the end of the day, and I found myself forcing myself to eat. So what should I do? Eat or not?

My goal caloric intake is 1,400 (down from MFP's recommended 1,550). Here's where I stand right now:

Totals 1,186 97 37 113 905 17
Your Daily Goal 1,720 215 58 86 2,300 70
Remaining 534 118 21 -27 1,395 53
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

Suggestions? Because I know I'll end up in this position again. What I want (and the only thing I could really work up a desire to eat) would be a chicken leg quarter. But then I'm so far over my protein requirements that it's insane. (And it's only 200 calories).

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Eat the chicken leg. There's nothing wrong with going over protein- the default setting is too low anyway. 30% is a much better target than 15%.

And you should try to eat all your calories so your net is equal to your goal. Going under calories, when you're already at the basement allowance for what's healthy, is not beneficial. Long term, undereating will only make it easier to regain the weight you lose.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    a, it doesn't matter whether you hit it exactly every day, because for one it is an estimate, although with weighing you can get it more accurate, yet it is still an estimate that can be out both ways. That said if you don't weigh your food chances are you are underestimating what you take in anyways.

b, go by your weekly allowance and allow for variations between days

c, if you are on a diet, because you are overweight then clearly at some point in the not so distant past you were perfectly able to eat more then 1200 calories, so really why is it such hardship now.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My vote would be nuts.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I always spend extra calories on my love, cheese.
  • jdzane
    jdzane Posts: 7 Member
    Options

c, if you are on a diet, because you are overweight then clearly at some point in the not so distant past you were perfectly able to eat more then 1200 calories, so really why is it such hardship now.

LOL :laugh: That made me smile. That is true. I do spend a lot of my time measuring and weighing, I'm pretty religious about it. I never thought about using a weekly totals for calories before. I'm only concerned about going under calories because I still weigh 285 and I don't want my body to start eating itself so quickly it eats the wrong things.

And MoreBean13, thank you for your response. While waiting for responses I decided to Google problems with eating too much protein, and saw that you can have up to 35% of your diet protein, so i went in and changed that.

And Monkey, I ended up having the chicken leg, with some leftover rice and CHEESE on top. I love cheese as well, it's just such empty calories! Unless it's fat free and then it tastes like plastic.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll make sure I spread out my meals a little better tomorrow. I think I got so messed up because of how hectic today was. My two hours of errands turned into 6 and I had no food with me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

LOL :laugh: That made me smile. That is true. I do spend a lot of my time measuring and weighing, I'm pretty religious about it. I never thought about using a weekly totals for calories before. I'm only concerned about going under calories because I still weigh 285 and I don't want my body to start eating itself so quickly it eats the wrong things.

And MoreBean13, thank you for your response. While waiting for responses I decided to Google problems with eating too much protein, and saw that you can have up to 35% of your diet protein, so i went in and changed that.

And Monkey, I ended up having the chicken leg, with some leftover rice and CHEESE on top. I love cheese as well, it's just such empty calories! Unless it's fat free and then it tastes like plastic.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll make sure I spread out my meals a little better tomorrow. I think I got so messed up because of how hectic today was. My two hours of errands turned into 6 and I had no food with me.

Why would you say cheese is "empty calories"? Protein, fat (your body does need some fat), calcium -- no need to demonize cheese.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would say cheese is the opposite of empty calories, its densely packed nutrition with wonderful protein and fat! You just have to be careful of portion sizes because of the calories, which it sounds like you are.

I would say 80% of my meals outside breakfast involve cheese, but I am a vegetarian so it's probably not quite as useful for everyone else. My point is, have some cheese sometimes!
  • DodgeRider509
    Options
    I always spend extra calories on my love, cheese.

That's Funny I tend to find myself doing the same thing!