Somebody please help me

Options
If I eat my 1400 calories and I workout which causes my remaining calories to increase , will I only lose weight if I eat my calories back or will eating the initial 1400 be fine no matter how how much I work out?

Replies

• pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat back calories. If not your body won't release calories because it needs it to function. So eat but eat clean and healthy.:drinker:
  • Shahelene
    Shahelene Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There must be a key word you need to put in to get replies...anybody know what it is? Lol
  • Shahelene
    Options
    Oh ok Yeaaaa, thanks for the reply.. Gee that's kind of scary though, because I don't want to do that and gain weight instead of lose it.
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat the calories I've burned...at least not regularly. If I'm having a "hungry day", or a special occasion I will eat the extra calories I've burned. I've read here that you should try not to eat more than a third of the extra calories earned from working out.

I think the important thing is that you get your nutrition and aim for close to your normal calorie goal, but don't go hungry. If you need more food, eat it...but eat the most nutritious foods you can. And getting your water is crucial. Sometimes we think we are hungry when we are actually dehydrated.
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you eat your goal but not the extra you will lose more quickly than if you eat back your calories. But I have found that on big workout days, I need the extra calories. When I do eat extra I try to eat lean proteins and green vegetables...or a fruit smoothie if I'm feeling the urge.
  • Shahelene
    Options
    Hmm ok it's making sense now
  • Shahelene
    Options
    If you eat your goal but not the extra you will lose more quickly than if you eat back your calories. But I have found that on big workout days, I need the extra calories. When I do eat extra I try to eat lean proteins and green vegetables...or a fruit smoothie if I'm feeling the urge.

Thank you
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    My take on this is a little different, but it has worked very well for me. Eat back the calories that your body needs to repair itself. If your exercise is pretty mild, like walking your dog or cleaning, you really don't need to replace those calories because your body isn't actually stressed. If your workout is intense, eat it all back. If it's sorta / kinda intense, eat half back.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    My take on this is a little different, but it has worked very well for me. Eat back the calories that your body needs to repair itself. If your exercise is pretty mild, like walking your dog or cleaning, you really don't need to replace those calories because your body isn't actually stressed. If your workout is intense, eat it all back. If it's sorta / kinda intense, eat half back.

This is probably the simplest, most direct, well written and concise answer I've ever seen to this question. While I'm tempted to QFT it, I'm sure others will disagree.

Bottom line is that most people overestimate their activity and underestimate their calorie intake. You have to find what works for you. Don't stress about it, but if you find you are too hungry after workouts, then your body is probably telling you to up the calories a bit.

Edit for clarity.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like that. I personally went with another way of calculating calories (TDEE-20% from http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) because it's easier than worrying about eating calories back... you just eat a set amount every day.

The issue with not eating exercise calories back is that yes, your deficit will be bigger, so you'll lose weight faster, but with a bigger deficit you're also more likely to lose muscle mass, which doesn't help you in the long run.