Is it bad to weigh every day???

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I am a scale *kitten* myself so I can't knock someone for weighing everyday however don't count weight loss until the end of the week. On my scale it will track your weight loss if you hit a certain button so I just hit that button once a week but the rest of the week I just hop on it to guage myself.
  • vyolette
    Options
    Its not bad, you will learn a lot about yourself and how your body works! If you do it at the same time.
    I usually end up weighing myself twice a day, before I go to bed and when I wake up.. and amazingly last night i lost almost two pounds while sleeping! Weight isn't the most important number to go by, it's better to measure yourself but I don't have time for that and it would probably discourage me, so i just look at numbers and try to do what im supposed to. best of luck to you!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. In fact, I have two different scales! One weighs me as less than the other. ;)
    If I step on the regular scale and I have gone up, I step on the 2nd scale and am reassured that I am still okay.
    I count the heavier scale weight, unless it has gone up that day--then, of course, I count the 2nd scale measurement, and I figure out why my weight went up! Usually, it is because my abdomen is having difficulties (I have had a few surgeries). When I increase my water and/or eat more roughage, that extra weight goes away.

This has worked for me perfectly. I am down to my goal weight, as of yesterday.

You find what you are comfortable with. That is the right way to keep track of your weight loss.

:drinker: (lots of water)
  • Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I too always weigh myself everyday. I do it twice a day... morning and night. I am just curious of how much weight I gained in a day and I am afraid of missing something if I don't weigh in every morning. I record my weight once a week.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and record the weight every day. It is important for me to see the changes and, if the scale has gone up, to work double hard that day and to make sure I drink more water, etc.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If I weigh more than every few days, I go crazy. I can get very obsessive about just WANTING to weigh all the time and seeing gains that I know are just fluctuations. The only time I weigh everyday is usually a weekend when I didn't see a loss Friday when I know I could have, so I weigh Saturday and Sunday to see how well I'll do on Monday's weigh in. It's stupid, I know. haha When I'm in CONTROL of my weighing obsession (lol), I weigh Friday and Monday.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    weighing in everyday just keeps you in check. It is easy to just let the calories slide.
    I am right now at my parents place and they have a super awesome techy scale which is much more accurate than my 3eur ikea one where you could be 2 kg over or under what you actually are....
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Reading this has really encouraged me because now I know that I am not the only person to have 4lb+ fluctuations. I weigh myself several times per day, as I am determined to do this it doesn't matter, except to my hubby as those fluctuations do annoy me!!!!
    I do seem to have yoyo weight & seem to lose weight one week, gain it the next, lose it again etc so means I keep staying the same weight hen I still have 3 stone to lose!!! Good news though is that I have lost 6" from my waist, 2" from my bust & 2" from my butt no doubt thanks to lots of swimming which is the only exercise my health will allow.
  • kathleenpenrod
    kathleenpenrod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday as most people have said. Take a grain of salt with it but always weigh naked and at the same time of day. Your body fluctuates semi-regularly so water holding and bowel movements make a difference.

Try this product - it has changed my life! It is a Weight Watchers scale. It shows the most accurate of almost any product and shows weight, body fat weight and percentage, bone mass and water weight. So when you weigh everyday you can truly see where the fluctuation is coming from and make sure body fat isn't sneaking up on you. It's AWESOME!

The first one on the list: http://www.weightwatchers.com/shop/categoryshowcase.aspx?pageid=1056651&navid=moreww
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am a twice a day person. First thing in the morning and before I go to bed. I have figured out that if my weight is the same at bedtime as it was in the morning I can usually expect a loss the next morning. It kinda keeps my snacking in check too. Some people say I am being too hard on myself, but I don't think so. I hardly ever see a gain in the mornings, but if I do it is always less than a pound. I agree with others about keeping your goal in check. I do have a specific day in which I record though, so weighing everyday lets me know that I am doing the right thing in the way of my weekly goal. Hasn't failed me yet!!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It depends on my mood. Some days I know if I don't like what I see I will reach for carbs. So I don't weigh for a couple of days and I find that I use those days to get ahead on exercise and diet then I get excited to weigh. Other days I am 'bullet proof' and don't care what the day's fluxes are. One rule with weighing I stick to is my official weigh in is once a month, early in the morning, 7 days after TOM. This is when you are the most consistant, and also a month of good behavior has always shown me something. I try not to have to big an expectation, even though I love a big drop, slow and steady is what I prepare for.

Short answer is: KNOW YOURSELF
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    if I weight everyday it'd drive me batty, and make me way too obsessive.:glasses:
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning but my official weigh-in day is tuesday where i actually log it in. i like to do it because it keeps me in track and i know where i need to go from there.