Is my HRM accurate?

Options
Ok, so I got a HRM yesterday and hit the gym. First let me say I have been doing C25K and when I entered my jogging/walking into MFP it usually says I burn about 250 calories in that 30 minutes.

I wore my HRM yesterday and it shows just for the jogging/walking I did (same week and day as last run) it says I burned over 400 calories. That's a pretty big difference!

In all I did 15 mins on a bike, 30 minutes on treadmill and a 30 minute cardio dance class and my HRM monitor said I burned over 1100 calories. My HR was around 160-170 most of the time. I only logged this as 900 cals yesterday as I forgot to pause it between going from the treadmill to the dance room and waiting 10 mins for it to start.

I just feel like that is A LOT of calories? I went to fitliinx and logged the 3 exercises and it says I should've burned around 400 calories total.

Do you think my HRM is correct or is it way overestimated my calories burned? I don't want to burn 400 and think I burn 900 and overeat my exercise calories back...

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. You didn't include a key piece of information is you want us to guess your calorie burn

But

2. 1100 calories is in the neighborhood of what Usain Bolt would burn while sprinting for an hour, not what a regular person would burn walk/running on a treadmill or taking a fitness dance class
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your height & weight its difficult to say. If you are significantly overweight then that burn is possible. I know if I run at around 10:30/mile pace for 1hr I burn approx 850 cals. I trust my HRM data for cardio and use as part of my TDEE calculations and then eat an average of 900 under per day. My weight loss is consistent and in line with my calculated calorie burn/ intake.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    See I thought the 1100 calories my HRM said I burned was waaaay off. Considering both MFP and Fitlinx said it should be about 400 calories. I have read in numerous posts not to go off MFP and that a HRM is the only accurate way to see how many calories you're burning, so I am so confused on why my HRM would be so way off?
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 168 pounds....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    See I thought the 1100 calories my HRM said I burned was waaaay off. Considering both MFP and Fitlinx said it should be about 400 calories. I have read in numerous posts not to go off MFP and that a HRM is the only accurate way to see how many calories you're burning, so I am so confused on why my HRM would be so way off?

Unfortunately a lot of people here don't understand how a HRM works and the accuracy is over vastly overstated. Is it a good tool? It can be. Is it the best option? Not always.

Here is a good read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
    and here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739
    and here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

ETA - yeah, 1100 is way too high. for your height and weight.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Given your height and weight it does sound like your HRM is wrong then. MFP for me over-estimates by around 25% compared to my HRM but for someone your size 400 doesn't sound too far off IMO.