Help! Need advice with how to proceed

Options
Ok, here's the deal. I recently started excercising again after yearly break. I haven't done anything mental - I have tried to begin gradually. I use the treadmill daily - usually 3.3 mph for anywhere between 30-60 min. depending on the time allotment.. I also am doing the strength circuit every other day. Mainly upper body machines, with the exception of the leg press.

Now I know that when you workout there is a recovery period, but for the last two weeks I have had this nagging pain where my right leg meets my trunk, right under my butt. I suspect I may have pulled something. It is really sensitive when I am on the treadmill and now it generally hurts when I sit on my duff. I don't know what caused it.

My question is this: If it is a muscle pull, should i just keep doing what I am doing and expect that it will go away eventually, or am I just irritating it each time. I tried other things for cardio - biking, elliptical, etc. - it is still there.

Any thoughts? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Replies

• Continue your exercise routine, but tone down the weight or speed that work that specific area. For those leg raises you might want to lessen your sets by 1, and your reps by 2-5. You can also just do a couple more sets of less reps with some break in between. It probably is a pulled muscle. Use heat and ice when you are sitting for comfort, and ibuprofin should help. I also would suggest that you see your doctor, especially if the pain hasn't gotten better within a week..
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I first try to walk it out. If my back is in pain, my first attempt is a warm up and seeing if 10-15min on the treadmill makes it worse or better. If it is the same and doesn't go away I would try a week of switching to Pilates. Something gentle that streches out the area. Utube: Katrina pilates warmup is a good place to start. It is always good to mix things up and give the body a rest.
    Hope that helps. (You could also see a M.D. chiropractor or physiotherapist who might recognise the signs better)
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    It sounds like the location where sciatic pain is. I get that. I would probably see a doctor or chiropractor if this is the first time you've experienced it and get cleared for working out.
  • sydstar
    sydstar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does the pain kind of radiate down the back of your lef? Does it feel like you are seeing stars with how bad the pain is? I have similar problems.

It most likely is sciatic nerve pain. There is a nerve is your back that might be pressed or pinched and it is causing the pain. Ibuprofen helps to relieve the pain a lot and doing a lot of yoga stretches can also help.

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/sciatica-topic-overview

http://www.medicinenet.com/sciatica/article.htm
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the location where sciatic pain is. I get that. I would probably see a doctor or chiropractor if this is the first time you've experienced it and get cleared for working out.

I agree. Sounds like your sciatic nerve is acting up. Chiropractors can help with this as it is typically just pinched.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Sports physiotherapist would help in you continuing with your exercises and he/she can show you stretches that will help prevent future injuries.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    IT band issues (sciatica) aren't generally associated with "under the butt" though, they go more down through the hip flexor (think the bone on your hip to the sides) and and then down the back/outside of your leg, and the pain generally radiates, so if the pain is localized it sounds like a glut pull, or one of the smaller muscles in the lower trunk (there are a few). If there's no swelling, then heat and rest should do it. If it's bad enough to stop you or limit your exercise, then try things that don't use the legs for primary motion, I.E. swimming (as the most common thing) or maybe boxing (shadow boxing is ok too), both are high level cardio types that don't really irritate the legs but still give you a really good cardio burn (I hit the heavy bag, it's a PHENOMENAL work out, plus it will really tone th upper body quick). Try that for a week or so, while resting and putting heat on the area of pain. If after a week it doesn't improve, then I would probably go see someone as you may have some kind of a minor tear or some other problem that rest alone won't fix.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue a week or so ago. Mine doesn't sound like it was as bad as yours (probably because I am doing nowhere near your intensity of workouts!). What I did was just ease up on exercise for a few days. I took walks slower and didn't push myself as much. I also made sure to really stretch before and even more after working out.