How long was your longest plateau?

Options
I'm at 2 and 1/2 months of no movement on the scale and minuscule changes in measurements.

How long was your longest plateau? Hoping to see some light at the end of this very long, dark tunnel, lol.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Plateau is a bad word. Its one of those associated with the 'something else is to blame for my lack of weight loss'.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Plateau is a bad word. Its one of those associated with the 'something else is to blame for my lack of weight loss'.

Thanks for your opinion, however it doesn't answer my question. And your inference that I'm blaming something else for my lack of weight loss is preposterous; shall I list for you all the things I do on a daily basis to keep healthy, biggest of which is training for a half Ironman?
  • catylina71
    Options
    absolutely curious about this one.

that scares me.

54309133.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    one week
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If I don't lose, I just get pissed off and drink only water and drop and exercise and create a 3 + k deficit in a day.

I don't binge the next day.

1 pound + fat ... bye byeeeeeeee
  • eldamiano
    Options

Thanks for your opinion, however it doesn't answer my question. And your inference that I'm blaming something else for my lack of weight loss is preposterous; shall I list for you all the things I do on a daily basis to keep healthy, biggest of which is training for a half Ironman?

Oh for goodness sake. Get a grip. Even if it doesnt directly answer your question... I added something related. If it doesnt answer, then wait for someone else to answer Superman, or at least dont get so tetchy about it.

I dont like the word 'plateau'. So what? If you were to ask me the question face-to-face, I would say the same, as seemingly blaming something else for lack of weight loss is different to asking how long one couldnt keep to their weight loss plan.
  • danahubley
    danahubley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting read that may be helpful.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/05/22/weight-loss-plateau/
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    Options

Oh for goodness sake. Get a grip. Even if it doesnt directly answer your question... I added something related. If it doesnt answer, then wait for someone else to answer Superman, or at least dont get so tetchy about it.

I dont like the word 'plateau'. So what? If you were to ask me the question face-to-face, I would say the same, as seemingly blaming something else for lack of weight loss is different to asking how long one couldnt keep to their weight loss plan.

<sigh>

So what word shall I use to appease your irrational (and improper definition) of the term plateau as it relates to weight loss?
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    Options
    This was an interesting read that may be helpful.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/05/22/weight-loss-plateau/

This was a great read!!!

Still pushing through, hoping something changes before I hit the three month mark, lol.
  • kdelost630
    Options
    When I was close to my goal weight (approx 10 lbs away), I plateau-d for 6 months. I tried switching exercise and staggering my calories each day, but looking back, I was probably not eating enough each week. Just switch things up for a bit and jump start your metabolism. You will start losing again soon.
  • eldamiano
    Options

<sigh>

So what word shall I use to appease your irrational (and improper definition) of the term plateau as it relates to weight loss?

"Irrational". Your opinion... because you dont like mine. I should have known that from just randomly mentioning your Ironman status that you find yourself superior...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    4 weeks... because I skipped a period. Then I lost 6 lbs after the next one.

There's no such thing as a plateau though... it usually means you're eating at maintenance.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a plateau though... it usually means you're eating at maintenance.
    This.
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    6 months. And I was eating 1200 cals/day. I brought my calorie goal up, and changed my exercise routine a little, and now I'm losing again, without really trying. I'm eating at maintenance, and lifting heavy, so I should be holding steady or gaining weight, but I'm slowly losing.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Nothing more than a few days at the most, now i'm only a few ounces from the ideal weight, and only 4kg from my goal weight, it's looks like I will never experience a true plateau. How odd, but not that i'm complaining...
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    these last two months i usually go 2 to 3 weeks with no movement. im still doing what i need to do. just hang in there. thats all we can do.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    Options

<sigh>

"Irrational". Your opinion... because you dont like mine. I should have known that from just randomly mentioning your Ironman status that you find yourself superior...

Are you done? Can you please stop now? The harassment is getting a bit much.
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Almost 2.5 months and I tried everything - finally I went to my trainer to for help and we looked at what I was eating.

In this specific case (I hit 3 plateaus of about 4 weeks over a 2 year period), I was having a 12oz can of Coca-Cola a day. It was my single treat and form of caffeine and I allocated calories for it, even coming in under my daily calorie count. However, he was explaining that the sugar was signaling my body to hold on to calories for a few hours and that I was probably "sugar sensitive". Sure enough, I cut Coca-Cola out for two days and started shredding weight again.

On another plateau I had to start varying my calorie intake daily. Instead of hitting my allotted 1800cal goal for example, I ate 1400 one day, 2100 another day, 1800 the day after - had to start being predictably abnormal on my calories.

The final plateau was due to workout - my mix of workout and effort had become predictable. I had to start changing things up, add strength training, or take it away. Reverse the order of things, go light to heavy and back and forth.

The one thing I learned in the 3 years I lost weight was my body was very good adapting and it would equal a plateu - so I was constantly changing things - calorie count, exercise, rest days, types of food. Just keep your body guessing.
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So far I am 18 & 1/2 months into this and my longest was 6 weeks but I lost 150 lbs with no break so I was okay with it since the break I have begun to loos about 1 lb every 2 weeks and it is going in the right direction I still would like to loos about 90 more lbs but happy still
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

<sigh>

No need to attack OP because they didn't use terms to your liking.

For me though, my weight has not changed in over a year. I know a lot of it was my fault, but even upping my calories, meticulously weighing and logging food, and working out harder and more often doesn't seem to have affected the scale one bit. I'm holding pretty steady. Something will work out though. :)