Any Other Slow Runners?

Options
When I started losing weight, my exercise of choice was jogging (no money for gm memberships, etc etc). I did the C25K, completed it, and was running for 30 minutes within 9 weeks. After 5 months, I can now do 7.75km without stopping, which I'm very proud of, and I'd like to commemorate my new-found fitness by running a 10km race this September.

My issue is, I am VERY slow. 7.75km takes me 70 minutes, and 5km takes me around 40-45. The C25K always says to take it slow and concentrate on distance, and I don't think I'm particularly built for speed (it's not like I'm looking to become a professional athlete!) but I'm a little worried about being last in the 10km by a pretty long way.

Is anyone else particularly slow, or have any ways of upping speed without killing myself? I'd love some support from fellow slowpokes!

Replies

• alysiafresh
    alysiafresh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4 of c25k this morning (omg that first 5 minute run was hard) but I run at a steady 5mph. If I kept that pace for an entire 5k, it would take me almost 40 minutes to finish it, so you are absolutely not alone. My concern is getting the distance down first, THEN I'll work on my time. I run on a treadmill so all I have to do is slowly increase the speed as time goes on and the runs become less exhausting, but I'm not really sure how'd you go about doing it outside. Do you listen to music when you run? Maybe you could try more uptempo music and try running to the beat (mixing it in with slightly slower stuff that's more at your current speed so you don't totally burn yourself out - I guess it would be like the c25k plan of running and walking, except the speed of the music would determine running vs running a little faster).

Good luck! I can't wait until I finish the program and get to the same point you're at!
  • SherryIsRunner5
    SherryIsRunner5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a slow runner!! Would love some tips as well!! :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm slow as molasses in January.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner myself. Personally, I'm not too concerned about it with the exception of I don't want to spend over an hour running a 10k.

There are training apps that can help you but most "faster" people will tell you to incorporate speed work and tempo runs into your normal runs.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am slow. I have been running for probably 7 years now and I still can't do a 5k in under 30 minutes. Back when I first started I had to run/walk a 5k and it took me 42 minutes to finish my first one. I run half marathons more that shorter races and have done a total of 26. Here is a summary of every PR (personal record)

Date - Time - Avg Pace
    5/3/2008 - 3:07:55 - 14:21
    6/11/2011 - 2:58:32 - 13:38
    6/25/2011 - 2:54:15 - 13:18
    5/19/2012 - 2:46:51 - 12:44 (this was a hilly course - I surprised my self with this one!)
    9/16/2012 - 2:43:11 - 12:27
    10/6/2012 - 2:36:05 - 11:55 (another surprise, but this out & back course didn't have much extra distance)
    6/15/2013 - 2:36:04 - 11:55 (1 second, but still a PR!)
    9/15/2013 - 2:35:33 - 11:52

Point is, as you run more you will get faster. I still don't do much speedwork. I just run. Also running longer distances helps increase speed at shorter distances.

I have never come in last place. Even if I would have, there is not shame in that!

Good luck!
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty slow (10.5 min mile) but I got up from a 12 min mile by doing shorter, faster 'tempo' runs, I would often do these on a treadmill but you can do them outside too. I usually do one shorter faster run, one medium slower run and one longer slower run a week. Not an expert, just what I found worked for me!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight, my exercise of choice was jogging (no money for gm memberships, etc etc). I did the C25K, completed it, and was running for 30 minutes within 9 weeks. After 5 months, I can now do 7.75km without stopping, which I'm very proud of, and I'd like to commemorate my new-found fitness by running a 10km race this September.

My issue is, I am VERY slow. 7.75km takes me 70 minutes, and 5km takes me around 40-45. The C25K always says to take it slow and concentrate on distance, and I don't think I'm particularly built for speed (it's not like I'm looking to become a professional athlete!) but I'm a little worried about being last in the 10km by a pretty long way.

Is anyone else particularly slow, or have any ways of upping speed without killing myself? I'd love some support from fellow slowpokes!

Just time and push yourself to beat it. With some GPS watches you can get a virtual runner feature which tells you whether you are behind or ahead of your desired pace at any time. If you are still losing weight, then this will help too.

I wouldnt worry about specific speed training yet.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of room at the back of the pack. :)

There is no shame in being slow, so I say embrace it.

My first 5K race, it too me nearly 38 minutes - I was in the bottom 3% of all runners.

My first 10K race was almost 80 minutes... I was last in my age/gender group.

I just remember that DLF > DNF > DNS (i.e. Dead Last Finish beats Did Not Finish which beats Did Not Start).

In my experience, those in the back of the pack at distance races get lots of support and cheers from spectators and other runners at the finish line when they arrive.

I've never seen any one get booed or heckled in a distance race... it is the most supportive type of athletic event.

If you want to run a race, then go do it and don't worry about being slow... if you keep it up, most likely you will eventually get faster, but the best way to do that is simply to run more miles.
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner and started out really slow too (12 min miles). In August I decided to train for a half marathon (I had never run a race previously). It was a very lofty goal since at the time I could hardly run a mile. What I've found is speed comes with time and consistent training. My real improvements have shown up when I decided to train outside my comfort zone once a week. I’m now up to 8 min miles and have logged a 6:38 min mile in one of my training runs. Keep working on your base and don’t be afraid to push yourself every once in a while…You will be surprised at what you can achieve. Shoot me a friend request if you would like some support or someone to share tips with. Good luck with your running!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Eventually you have to push yourself out of that comfort pace zone and work on speed if you want to be faster. Higdon, the running magazines, and apps all have training plans that incorporate this concept .. just pick one and go with it. Sprints, fartleks, tempo runs all help get you going faster. Nine minute kilometers won't win a 10k race, but if finishing is your goal .... keep that as your initial goal then set new goals of beating your last time each race.

Don't worry about finishing last. There is always somebody slower at a 10k ... there were people with 14+ minute per k paces in my last one ... but they finished it.
  • venomious
    Options
    I'm not the greatest runner, but i can do a decent 5 and 10k. If you want to get faster, you'll have to train differently than when you are training for a greater distance. Instead of maintaining your VO2 max for longer, you'll actually have to try and raise it. The best way to do that is do to intervals while running in my opinion.

There are tons of mp3s on the net where they have high pace music at 30/30 or 60/60 and other intervals. You could try listening to that and try to run a bit faster at the high paced intervals. Then slow down to your usual pace for the low interval and recover.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Eventually you have to push yourself out of that comfort pace zone and work on speed if you want to be faster. Higdon, the running magazines, and apps all have training plans that incorporate this concept .. just pick one and go with it. Sprints, fartleks, tempo runs all help get you going faster. Nine minute kilometers won't win a 10k race, but if finishing is your goal .... keep that as your initial goal then set new goals of beating your last time each race.

Don't worry about finishing last. There is always somebody slower at a 10k ... there were people with 14+ minute per k paces in my last one ... but they finished it.

I am still slow, but I have improved from a 12 min mile to a 10 by using Runkeeper. That little voice in my ear every 5 minutes telling me my average and current pace really keeps me on track.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner and started out really slow too (12 min miles). In August I decided to train for a half marathon (I had never run a race previously). It was a very lofty goal since at the time I could hardly run a mile. What I've found is speed comes with time and consistent training. My real improvements have shown up when I decided to train outside my comfort zone once a week. I’m now up to 8 min miles and have logged a 6:38 min mile in one of my training runs. Keep working on your base and don’t be afraid to push yourself every once in a while…You will be surprised at what you can achieve. Shoot me a friend request if you would like some support or someone to share tips with. Good luck with your running!
    This . Your speed wI'll come in time
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Same! I did C25K twice... first on a treadmill, then I joined a new local group and we did it starting at the track, and then a couple weeks before the 5K race (my first) we ran a portion of the course. I also started running in my neighborhood at the same time, and my race time was about 45 minutes.

Having felt "lost" without a a program to follow post-C25k, I just found an app yesterday (iPhone) called 5K Forever. Similar to the previous app, but this will help you increase speed gradually so your next 5K in 8 weeks or so is faster. Starting it tomorrow!

Maybe there is one for 10K, too?
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Same! I did C25K twice... first on a treadmill, then I joined a new local group and we did it starting at the track, and then a couple weeks before the 5K race (my first) we ran a portion of the course. I also started running in my neighborhood at the same time, and my race time was about 45 minutes.

Having felt "lost" without a a program to follow post-C25k, I just found an app yesterday (iPhone) called 5K Forever. Similar to the previous app, but this will help you increase speed gradually so your next 5K in 8 weeks or so is faster. Starting it tomorrow!

There is a 5k-10K app made by Active that incorporates tempo runs and speed work into the workouts. You can find a lot of workouts online if you don't want to pay the $3 or $4 for the app. There are free apps out there also, but the Active one is the only app I am aware of that incorporates the tempo runs/speed work.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I often do sprints one day a week instead of a longer, slower run. I run as fast as I can for 30 seconds or 1 minute then walk for a minute or so to recover then repeat. I max at 20 or 30 minutes of this. Since I mostly treadmill run I kick up my speed just a hair about once a week. I had to take a break from running for a few months and when I started back up I was at 12 min. Now a month later I'm comfortable at 11 min. Eventually I'll get back to 9 with a final goal of about 8. I have no need to be a lot faster. I'm very short, 48 years old and have really bad joints. I figure I'm not doing too badly.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Just like anything, the way to get better is to train! Training and consistency will help to improve your distance and your speed. There are many running apps that are awesome to help keep you on track, push you out of your comfort zone and that can incorporate speed training. I did a 10k program on the app Runmeter last summer and it was fantastic. Just keep at it and you will improve :flowerforyou:
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Running races is such a great feeling and everyone is supportive to all. Embrace it and go for it.

In my first wave of training, the biggest improvements I made were by just running/walking at a comfortable pace. Then I kept running this comfortable pace for a little bit longer each week running/walking 3 or 4 times a week. As the weeks go by, you will see your improvements and understand how you can improve for yourself. Sometimes when working on the treadmill I would vary the speeds a bit because it grew a bit monotonous, but I never really pushed the speed.

There are so many things to consider to get faster like form, cadence, comfortable shoes, breathing....etc....but the simple one is run consistently and comfortably, and then repeat but go a little bit further.

Good luck and have fun.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Consider joining a running club. Peer pressure works.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I just discovered this the other day - look up Bridge t o10k. I'm about halfway through C25K and plan on moving on to this when I'm done.