one food VS. another

Options
Are all calories equal? Meaning, I would probably feel more full if I ate 150 calories of oatmeal, vs. 150 calories of almonds, but, when it comes to my body converting it to energy does it matter? I don't always want to start my day with a big glop of food, but I need the calories to get going in the morning. Sometimes, I wish food came in pill form, so when I didn't want to think about it I could take my 2000 calorie multi vitamin and carry on with my day.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but just on the front page there are 5 or so topics about this exact thing.. please just scroll and read those..

But yes 1 calorie is the same.. will you feel fuller eating something else, probably.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Strong troll post. Well done. Not really.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    carbs, fats and protein are used differently in the body,
    so the energy of 1 calorie from something is 0.004184kilojoules
    however how it used in the body and how you feel from it is different,
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'd say your 150 calories would make you a different level of full depending on who it is.

Like for me personally, 150 calories of oatmeal would fill my belly more (i.e. physically expand my stomach tissue further), but I'd feel more "satisfied" longer on the almonds because to me they taste better, have a better texture when I'm chewing, and will "last longer" in terms of giving me energy for activity. Like I could run for an hour on 150 calories of almonds. The oatmeal would "last longer" for energy if all I was doing is sitting at my desk all morning. The oatmeal would hold me over until lunch if all I was doing was sitting at my desk.

However -- again this is just me -- once my stomach shrunk again, I'd "feel hungry" again sooner on the oatmeal since I'd have that "hey brain! stomach here. We're empty again, could you send more food please" signal. If I never bloated my stomach in the first place for breakfast, I'd never get that 11 am signal that says "belly empty now, more food please" signal.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Google that question. You will get a lot of good information. No....all foods are not created equal!
  • mangofro
    Options
    I'm not a troll and that was a serious question. thanks for your input. (not really)
  • mangofro
    Options
    thanks
  • mangofro
    Options
    thank you
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I'm not a troll and that was a serious question. thanks for your input. (not really)

Anytime!