How to tell what your true weight is?

Options
My weight fluctuates so much all throughout the day that I'm having a hard time telling what my true weight is.

I'll start from 51.2 kg in the morning, then up to 51.6 by early afternoon, then somehow drop to 50 kg in the late afternoon. Then up to 52 kg by night time.

How do I know what my weight is?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    By not weighing yourself so much. Do it one time a day, same place, same clothes, and same time of day to get a more accurate picture. Weight will always flux, take the average over a weeks time or so. This Is why I Only weigh in once a week :)
  • LivviLosing
    LivviLosing Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Generally, you want to weight first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating, wearing as little clothing as possible.

What you should be looking for is the overall downward trend, some days you will be heavier than others, based on water retention, waste products in your body, and other factors.

If you check in every day on MFP, you can look at the Reports tab, and see a nice chart of your weigh ins. :)
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's probably only water weight, but...

Try to weight yourself ONLY once a day. You will go crazy if you do it 3/4 times in one day.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself only once per day at the same time everyday.

for me its first thing in the morning, get up, go to the bathroom, weigh myself, rinse and repeat

your weight will fluctuate throughout the day (clothes, shoes, what you eat, drink, exercise)
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    It doesnt really matter. You weigh different things at different times of day. In order to track weight loss you just need to compare your weight at the same time of day, weigh just before bed or first thing in the morning every so often.
  • misski1969
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that your weight can fluctuate from scale to scale and also some days even from hour to hour. He suggested that I pick two days per week to weigh myself. He is also said to do it at the same time each time I weight myself. Wear the same clothes each time I weigh myself. If I happen to miss a weigh in due to extra hours at work, or an appointment or whatever, then to skip that weigh in and don't weigh until the next scheduled weigh in date and time.
    This will over time create a consistent picture of your progress, according to the scale.
    I have found that by following these guidelines, I do not make mental excuses for why it has fluctuated each and every day, and I do not get discouraged in my short term and long term goals because yesterday it said I lost 2 lbs and today it said I gained two pounds.
    The other thing that I do is I measure myself once per week. I measure myself the same day each week and at the same time each week wearing the same clothes each time I measure.
    It has helped me!
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh yourself daily do it at the same time every day, if possible in the morning before you eat/drink anything. I'd say it's probably better to only weigh yourself weekly as it's easy to get obsessed with how your weight changes from day-to-day (let alone hour-to-hour!) and really you need to think about weight loss in the long term if you want to maintain the changes you're making.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Morning after you pee. Otherwise you're weighing your food too...
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you need to know the EXACT weight? You never will because it will always fluctuate.

Don't obsess and weigh yourself constantly. I do it every once in a while to get an idea of where I am at but that is all - It is a lot less stressful that way.
  • Frostbitten007
    Frostbitten007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight fluctuates at different times of the day. The best time to weight yourself is first thing in the morning. Do this before you eat and after you pee. Also, weighing yourself naked helps.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I don't have an exact weight. I have a weight range: 144-148lbs:)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    But I should add that if you are losing you will see a change over time.