Confused about Accu-Measure BF Calipers

Options
Hi everyone :smile:

I just got my calipers in the mail and tried them out. Won't record measurements till tomorrow as I tried them after I worked out and it says not to do that, but I've followed all the instructions as well as I can and I'm clearly doing something wrong.

For reference, I'm female, 51 years old, 5'6" and 163 lbs. I carry my weight around my middle, and my waist at it's narrowest is 33.25" and at my belly button is 35.5". Not exactly lean.

When I do the calipers 1 inch above my hipbone on my right side, as per instructions, I get at most 11.5 mm. Based on the chart that came with the Accu-Meaure, even rounding up to 12 mm., that puts my body fat percentage at 25.9%, or ideal. Ha! Much as I'd like to believe that, I know it can't be true. For a sanity check, I googled around and found this site with pictures of what body fat percentages typically look like. http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/ My body looks very much like the woman with the 35% body fat.

So, does anyone have any experience with whatever error I'm presumably making and advice for me? If so, I'd greatly appreciate some advice.

Thank you.

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    No advice on the calipers. However, check out mybodygallery.com. They have a wider range of pictures to compare yourself to.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Will do. Thanks.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Are you only measuring in that one location? If so, it won't be accurate. Perhaps Google the Parillo 9 site method, which would likely be better for you since most of the measured sites are on the upper body (only 2 sites are lower body). Use caliper measurements as a benchmark, not a hard and fast number (my suggestion).
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Are you only measuring in that one location? If so, it won't be accurate. Perhaps Google the Parillo 9 site method, which would likely be better for you since most of the measured sites are on the upper body (only 2 sites are lower body). Use caliper measurements as a benchmark, not a hard and fast number (my suggestion).

Hi Lean,
    Thank you so much for posting this! I tried it and still got a wacky number 22.9%, although measuring myself in all those places was a challenge at best so I'm sure my technique stinks. Some measurements were as low as 9 mm and some as high as 26. User error! I also have fairly small arms and legs and a blubbery torso. Since I won't let anyone help me with this, I think I'm going to use the Suprailiac measuring site by itself and use that as my number (26 mm) and use the Accu-Measure chart to watch my progress. Right now that puts me at 35.6% body fat, which seems about right. Anyway, thanks again!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Hi Lean,
    Thank you so much for posting this! I tried it and still got a wacky number 22.9%, although measuring myself in all those places was a challenge at best so I'm sure my technique stinks. Some measurements were as low as 9 mm and some as high as 26. User error! I also have fairly small arms and legs and a blubbery torso. Since I won't let anyone help me with this, I think I'm going to use the Suprailiac measuring site by itself and use that as my number (26 mm) and use the Accu-Measure chart to watch my progress. Right now that puts me at 35.6% body fat, which seems about right. Anyway, thanks again!

My pleasure! My boyfriend usually does my measurements, and he will usually do one site 3-4 times and take the average. The Parillo is not a great tool for me since I carry most of my fat in my lower half; I just use it as a benchmark for the periods of time in between my Dexa scans.

Best of luck to you! :happy:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Any input on the accuracy of these? They are made for one site measure.