TDEE -- Increasing my Calories

Options
Hi. I just wanted to make sure my question got answered so figured I would post a new topic.

I figured out my TDEE was 2176 (thanks to the message boards on here) so I am going to minus 20% to lose weight.

Which would put me right around 1700 calories a day. I have been eating about 1100-1200 since I began logging a few weeks ago.

I dont really want to shock my body and eat 300-400 calories more a day...would it be best to start at 1400 and work my way up to eating 1700 a day?

Just worried about putting on weight. I have only lost 3 pounds in 4 weeks (doing Insanity as well), but that was hard enough!

Thanks for the help and sorry if this is repetitive.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's perfectly fine to increase your calories in increments until you get to the level you're aiming for (assuming you don't have any health issues driving the increase in calories, of course).

idk if you know this already, but a lot of people report not seeing much of a drop on the scale the first month of Insanity because of all the extra water being stored to cushion and repair the muscles after such intense exercise. It discourages a lot of people, but your body will adjust and release that water after a few weeks. Just something to be on the lookout for as you progress!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose. I'd be shooting ultimately for TDEE-15%, personally. But gradually, over a month or so, increase it.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's perfectly fine to increase your calories in increments until you get to the level you're aiming for (assuming you don't have any health issues driving the increase in calories, of course).

idk if you know this already, but a lot of people report not seeing much of a drop on the scale the first month of Insanity because of all the extra water being stored to cushion and repair the muscles after such intense exercise. It discourages a lot of people, but your body will adjust and release that water after a few weeks. Just something to be on the lookout for as you progress!

Thanks. I have heard that. I am almost done with first month, Saturday I start recovery week. So I am hoping to see some results next month! I push myself hard so hopefully it pays off.

Thanks for the response and WBB55!