Can somebody help me work out my calorie goal please?

Options
Hello,

Apologies in advance for the repetition of this topic. I've read through the newbie links about calculating your BMR, TDEE etc.

Currently I'm a student, with no job, and I believe my activity level is sedentary. I sit in front of a computer for hours of the day, and the only activity I currently get is doing dishes, light housework, and when in uni, walking for about 10-15 minutes a day. Averaging this out over holidays/weekends, I believe it's overall sedentary, especially since I sleep more than I should.

I'm 5 ft 7, have been on MFP for just over 2 weeks now, and have lost 5.8lb in that time, now weighing (sad to admit) 301.2lb.

What I'm worried about, is if I'm eating enough calories. At first I thought MFP had set my calories at way too high a level, but now after reading up on a few threads I'm wondering if I'm at danger of starvation mode.

I think I've managed to set my diary to public if anyone wants to have a look.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I like to link to Scooby's TDEE calculator because it does the math for you: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Plug your numbers in and see what it says.

Since you have so much to lose right now you get to exist in a grey area for a while. The danger of undereating for those of us closer to goal is that our bodies have a harder time breaking down our fat stores and reach for the muscle to break down as well. Since you have plenty of fat stores right now you won't be at as great a risk for muscle loss right now. You can eat at a greater deficit with less risk until you've dropped some weight.

However, I don't think the 800-1100 calories your diary shows is a very good idea for other reasons. Dietary adherence is going to be harder at that level, you may see greater fatigue or lethargy, you risk nutrient and vitamin deficiencies at that level, etc. I'm not a doctor or dietitian, though.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't intend for this to sound mean or critical. But it might come across that way, so I'm sorry if it does. I'm just trying to give you my advice. I think you should be really proud of what you're doing.

What you really need to do is lose weight healthy and slowly. Too much of a deficit and you'll be cranky, won't stick to it, and will lose muscle and bone tissue. Your biggest challenge isn't finding the exact right amount of calories to eat every day. Your biggest challenge will be doing it for two years, every day. And then every day for the rest of your life not putting it back on.

My suggestion is for now. For the next year. Eat 2000 calories every day. No matter how much exercise. No matter if you're not hungry. Eat 2000 calories per day. At first you'll lose 2#/week or so on average for the first half year. But then it'll slow down to more like 1# for the second half of the year. AT THAT POINT you may want to change what you're doing. BUT BY THEN, you'll have EXCELLENT habits and things to draw from to cut your calories even further.

That's my advice.
  • fitzala
    Options
    I like to link to Scooby's TDEE calculator because it does the math for you: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Since you have so much to lose right now you get to exist in a grey area for a while. The danger of undereating for those of us closer to goal is that our bodies have a harder time breaking down our fat stores and reach for the muscle to break down as well. Since you have plenty of fat stores right now you won't be at as great a risk for muscle loss right now. You can eat at a greater deficit with less risk until you've dropped some weight.

However, I don't think the 800-1100 calories your diary shows is a very good idea for other reasons. Dietary adherence is going to be harder at that level, you may see greater fatigue or lethargy, you risk nutrient and vitamin deficiencies at that level, etc. I'm not a doctor or dietitian, though.

Don't use MFP calorie calculator and exercise calculator. The food you eat should stay consistent each day even if you exercise. Scooby's above is great. Or you can use http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Click Goals on your homepage, then select custom goals and input the values given via Scooby or IIFYM. You shouldn't do 1000 calorie deficits b/c that'll leave you too hungry. Slow and steady is the best route b/c you'll develop long term healthy habits that will keep the weight off in the end.
  • Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick reply. That calculator comes out at just over 1900, so higher than MFP's suggestion of 1740. Once I actually start waking up in time for breakfast I'll be adding on an extra 200-400 calories, so I guess I won't have to add on that much more to meet goals.
    I don't intend for this to sound mean or critical. But it might come across that way, so I'm sorry if it does. I'm just trying to give you my advice. I think you should be really proud of what you're doing.

What you really need to do is lose weight healthy and slowly. Too much of a deficit and you'll be cranky, won't stick to it, and will lose muscle and bone tissue. Your biggest challenge isn't finding the exact right amount of calories to eat every day. Your biggest challenge will be doing it for two years, every day. And then every day for the rest of your life not putting it back on.

My suggestion is for now. For the next year. Eat 2000 calories every day. No matter how much exercise. No matter if you're not hungry. Eat 2000 calories per day. At first you'll lose 2#/week or so on average for the first half year. But then it'll slow down to more like 1# for the second half of the year. AT THAT POINT you may want to change what you're doing. BUT BY THEN, you'll have EXCELLENT habits and things to draw from to cut your calories even further.

That's my advice.

Don't worry, definitely not mean or critical :) I was just confused because you always hear 2000 as being the max for an average woman, so being suggested 1900 odds seemed awfully high.

Totally agree with you challenge will be keeping it up long term. Sad to say, but this is the longest I've ever lasted.

Do you think it'd be okay to aim for 1700-1900?
  • JJHnIOWA
    Options
    Yeah, keep in mind crash diets or whatever won't work, and they won't last.

The advice to stick around 2000 calories is pretty good, i wouldn't go much under that.

Just log everything u eat on here and try to hit around that mark every day, the rest should take care of itself.

Oh, and just TRY to get a little walk in or something every day, will help you to feel better as well.