My Job is Making Me Fat!

Options
124»

Replies

• kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses -- but I use my lunch break at least twice a week to take a yoga class. You could incorporate a walk or some kind of exercise during that time...also, maybe find a gym close to work that you can utilize before you head home? I know once I'm home ...I'm HOME, but if I work out right after work -- it goes a little better for me! Hang in there ... you'll figure it out!!
  • kmoirecavender
    kmoirecavender Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing. I am actively applying for new jobs that would help me to attain a healthier lifestyle. One thing I have done is I found a mini stair stepper on craiglist. I have it here at work, For my job, I am able to get on it from time to time, but I have also read that you can use these sitting under your desk...might be worth a try? Good luck, I am just starting out with this and really hoping for some change in my life!
  • baby_grl_martinez
    baby_grl_martinez Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is your 2 hour commute home due to distance or traffic? If it takes you 2 hours no matter what time of day, disregard this, but if it takes you two hours cuz of traffic, can you "wait out" the traffic after work?

For example, I live in Southern California. It's about 55-ish miles from my house to my parents. If I started that drive at 5pm during rush hour, that drive will take me 2 to 2.5 hours and I'll get there between 7 and 7:30pm. If I wait it out and leave at, say 6:30pm, I'll be "behind" most of the traffic and it might take me an hour. I'll probably get there by 7:30 anyway. Do you have the option of "waiting out" traffic after work, allowing you to get home at roughly the same time as you normally do? If so you could start doing a 2-3 mile walk/jog near your office before you even get home. I see you're in NorCal, so I'm not sure what rush hour is like up there. Down here it's a nightmare.

I am about 86 miles from home. It takes me about 1.5 hrs with typical traffic, and 2-2.5 hrs in heavy traffic (rush or accident). I work in the Bay area and live in the Central Valley. If I leave @ 5 I am home by 7is. If I leave at 6 I am home by 7:30is. So no big win in waiting really.

I want to thank you all, for all the advice and the help. Seems that my big key in working this in is my lunch. There is another challenge. Actually breaking myself away to eat a lunch. Really bad habit of mine that is only hurting me in so many ways in the long run.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with you OP - while I live close to work, the hours are typically 12 hour shifts - over a period of 16 yrs I gained about 55 lbs - shift work and long hours sucked the energy from me (I used to work a LOT of overtime also)

I just made up my mind to suck it up and just DO it. Fortunately for me management has given me a steady day shift assignment for a while so it will make things easier now.

Tracking your food will play a vital role in your journey.

Good luck to you OP :flowerforyou:
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    First things first: I have NOT read all the responses.

Weight loss is 80% proper nutrition. As long as you're eating healthy, you can lose.
    It's only 10% exercise. I would concentrate on the nutrition.

Also, have you calculated your BMR? 1200 calories may be too low a goal for you.

You can visit this website and enter your stats to get a guesstimate:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

80/10... Am I missing something?
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    First things first: I have NOT read all the responses.

Weight loss is 80% proper nutrition. As long as you're eating healthy, you can lose.
    It's only 10% exercise. I would concentrate on the nutrition.

Also, have you calculated your BMR? 1200 calories may be too low a goal for you.

You can visit this website and enter your stats to get a guesstimate:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

80/10... Am I missing something?

The other 10% is genetics. Sorry!
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So, I began an exercise and eating program with the help of MFP. I dropped 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I was very pleased.

The problem is my job. I work 8 to 10 hours a day with a 4 hr commute (2 hrs each way), plus I am a mom and wife, so family time is very important to me, given I have so little of it most of the week.

I have tried getting up at 4 am to work out, that didn't work, I am wiped after 2 or 3 days. I have tried logging nightly half hour sessions, but that is also very hard to do. My husband is not always home at a decent hour and most of the time dinner and homework help fall solely on me. By the time I get to sit down and eat I have an hour and a half to enjoy my family and have dinner before I have to go to bed and call it a night to start all over.

I am thinking that given my current (and long term) situation, I need to find another schedule for my exercise. I know for sure that I can dedicate time on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Has anyone else had success with 3 workout sessions a week? How did you do it? Did you do full max out session those 3 days? Did you alternate cardio/weights/full body???

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to and need to make this work.

As a side note I am already set on 1200 cal for my allowance on MFP, any tweaks suggested to that are welcome as well.

First of all don't listen to the guys suggesting you are making excuses, if you spend 14 hours a day working/commute add in sleep and eating time/family you have nothing left, i wouldn't be getting up at 4am to do exercise in your circumstance

I managed to lose plenty of weight doing 3 workouts a week. i would suggest a full body workout and cardio saturday and sunday, during the week do some bodyweight exercise for 15 mins before bed. It will add strength and help you sleep well

If only life was as simple as just change jobs

Some people on here live in never never land
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So, I began an exercise and eating program with the help of MFP. I dropped 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I was very pleased.

The problem is my job. I work 8 to 10 hours a day with a 4 hr commute (2 hrs each way), plus I am a mom and wife, so family time is very important to me, given I have so little of it most of the week.

I have tried getting up at 4 am to work out, that didn't work, I am wiped after 2 or 3 days. I have tried logging nightly half hour sessions, but that is also very hard to do. My husband is not always home at a decent hour and most of the time dinner and homework help fall solely on me. By the time I get to sit down and eat I have an hour and a half to enjoy my family and have dinner before I have to go to bed and call it a night to start all over.

I am thinking that given my current (and long term) situation, I need to find another schedule for my exercise. I know for sure that I can dedicate time on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Has anyone else had success with 3 workout sessions a week? How did you do it? Did you do full max out session those 3 days? Did you alternate cardio/weights/full body???

As a side note I am already set on 1200 cal for my allowance on MFP, any tweaks suggested to that are welcome as well.

First of all don't listen to the guys suggesting you are making excuses, if you spend 14 hours a day working/commute add in sleep and eating time/family you have nothing left, i wouldn't be getting up at 4am to do exercise in your circumstance

I managed to lose plenty of weight doing 3 workouts a week. i would suggest a full body workout and cardio saturday and sunday, during the week do some bodyweight exercise for 15 mins before bed. It will add strength and help you sleep well

Well, I don't know about that?

I have a 2-3 hour daily commute to my desk job, we cook dinner every night, and care for our 2.5 year old, and I still work out 3-4x/week. I just go to the gym after I get my baby in bed. That means that I sometimes am in the gym as late as 10 p.m., but I do it. I also walk at lunch.

If you want to make time, you will. I know. I was saying the same things you're saying a couple of months ago. :-)
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Well, I don't know about that?

I have a 2-3 hour daily commute to my desk job, we cook dinner every night, and care for our 2.5 year old, and I still work out 3-4x/week. I just go to the gym after I get my baby in bed. That means that I sometimes am in the gym as late as 10 p.m., but I do it. I also walk at lunch.

If you want to make time, you will. I know. I was saying the same things you're saying a couple of months ago. :-)

fair play to you but you are pretty unique in your levels of motivation