floor scale (not food scale)

Options
I have a digital floor scale that I've been using for years now. Over the past couple of years, moving from one apartment to the next, I have noticed that my readings are inconsistent. With some exploration I have discovered that the inconsistencies in the tiles on the floor provide me with different readings.
My sister suggested I try it on the laminate this morning, and I did indeed do so...unfortunately after many tries, my readings were anywhere from 267.5-264.5. A three pound difference! In the past I have taken 3 readings and either taken the reading from 2/3 of them or divided the difference. Not the most accurate way of reading.
I'm wondering if my scale might do better with a new battery (thinking not, since this happens even with new batteries); if I need a different scale; or if I should just say forget it and use the doctors scale at work (unfortunately located where patients could see me weighing myself-I work on a mental health unit).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Keep the scale in one place and use it to track change in weight. Whether or not it's exact to the lb won't matter as long as it's relatively consistent, which it should be if it has good batteries and you don't move it around.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My scale is all over the place - I used to "calibrate" it with a 10 lb hand weight. Usually the first time I put the handweight on, it weighed 14.2 lbs. When the handweight said 10 lbs, then I got on.

I've stopped doing that, now I just know the first one is always wrong.