SUBWAY?

Options
I'm going to Subway for lunch. :drinker: As always, I check the nutrition information on the website before I go so I know exactly what to order once I'm there. Today I did a little further research and here are the results:

Subway U.S. Nutrition PDF (Dec. 2013) shows a 6" sub with 9 grain wheat, turkey breast, various veggies as being a lean 280 calories. :heart: Yet when I plug in each item into the calorie calculator it comes up as nearly 75 calories more :angry: not to mention a buttload more sodium and almost double the fat! :noway:

No wonder we are all screwed up. :explode:

What gives Subway?:brokenheart:

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Subway doesn't count cheese or toppings in their nutrition PDF, idk if that helps.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When you plug it all in seperately are you using Subway's nutrition facts still? Also you may want to account for the fact that getting a "side" of the items may include a higher portion than if you were getting them on your sandwich. And it really depends on what veggies and dressings you are putting on your sub. ON the PDF they're using one version of the sandwich (not all the standard veggies + dressings)...
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah they don't count condiments either. :(
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I use the build your own sub on their website and add the information that way in MFP.
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    Yeah, I know. I plugged in the exact same ingredients from the nutrition PDF. Oh wellllll. :smile:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The PDF they use doesn't count condiments or cheese. You're better off using their nutrition calculator, that yellow button on the right:

http://www.subway.com/Menu/Product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&ProductId=1&MenuId=35&MenuTypeId=1

That's going to be more accurate than what find in the database, but nothing is going to be completely accurate because you have humans assembling the sandwiches by eye rather than by weight.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I know when I used to eat at Subway that cheese was typically the difference (if you eat it).
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Your calculations are incorrect. You are probably not counting dressing, and cheese. I find Subway to be very accurate and a good on the go option.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    This calculator MIGHT be a bit more accurate - at least you get to add veggies and condiments with it.

http://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    They are limited to how much meat they can put on a sandwich, but there are 3 Subway shops in a 5 mile radius of my home and we used to go to the one where they piled them so high with toppings you couldn't fold them. When I worked there a million years ago, the rule was 2 slices of black olive per 6 inches. The one we went to put a handful, about the equivalent of the small can of sliced olives. The extra fat calories alone had to be 100 calories more than the posted value. Then when they started adding avocado as a spread, I never saw anyone measure out the avocado. It was just a thick smear. That's the downfall of restaurants posting nutritional facts. They have no control over how John or Rosa or whoever prepares the actual plate (or sub) you are going to consume. If you are going to eat out, you have to be understanding that there's no way you are going to get exactly what the caloric value is supposed to be. As Americans, we'd be upset if a cook skimped, even if they were following weights and measures as they are supposed to.
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    Your calculations are incorrect. You are probably not counting dressing, and cheese. I find Subway to be very accurate and a good on the go option.

:huh:

I did not include dressing and cheese because the nutritional PDF did not include dressing and cheese. Using SUBWAY'S calorie calculator, I plugged each ingredient listed as stated on the PDF . I was simply making a comment about the nutritional information made available online. There is a definite conflict of information.

NO BIG DEAL