Grocery shopping for one, in college

Options
I'll soon be off the required meal plan at my school (where I'm essentially forced into 3 meals per weekday, 2 per weekend day, plus extra flexible points), and have access to an actual kitchen. I've been doing some research online, and it's tricky to find a simple or template grocery list for either the typical (not wealthy) college student, or even just for one person. Some important things to note: I am gluten-free, and avoid grains in general (carbs don't do well with me). I try to stick to paleo principles, natural and fresh foods, as best possible without sacrificing too much money. I am thinking something like this, but any advice on how much to buy per week or every two weeks would be fabulous! --

PRODUCE
1 Avocado
3 Apples
1 bunch Asparagus
1 can sliced Beets
1 bag frozen Berries
1 bag frozen Broccoli
1 head Cauliflower
1 Cucumber
2 bags romaine Lettuce
1 Sweet Potato
1 Spaghetti Squash
1 carton grape Tomatoes

PROTEIN
1/3 lb. deli Ham
1/3 lb. deli Turkey
3 tins Tuna
3 tins Salmon
1 bag frozen Shrimp
6 pack Eggs

NOT PALEO
Feta cheese
Ricotta cheese (mmmmm)
1 bag frozen Corn
3 cups Greek Yogurt
Diet Coke

MISC
1 carton Almond Milk
8 oz. tin Almonds
Soups?
Olive Oil
Honey
Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Garlic Powder
Basil
Oregano
Cooking Spray

Replies

• tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    bump :(
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Looks good -- Only thing I would do is make sure the deli meats are low sodium .
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I find the key to shopping for one is alternate foods every week - if you buy all those with a short shelf life every week it will cost a lot of money and you will possibly waste a fair amount of it, especially if you are on a restricted calorie diet. So buy a few things on the list with short shelf life every week, to make sure you minimise waste? Or alternatively go shopping more than once a week, but personally I don't have the time for that so I have to make do.

I live in the UK and the max I will spend per week on food is generally about £15 if I have stocked up on stuff in the freezer/dried things which I do once every couple months and when I run out of whatever. In all fairness though I don't have the greatest or most varied of diets from being incredibly busy 7 days a week, and it's something I'm planning on working on when things calm down a little.

It will probably be hit and miss for the first few times you shop but you soon work out how much you generally should be buying per week by the cost and whether or not you end up eating "desperation meals" as I call them a couple days before the next shopping trip. Perhaps getting started with two shops a week is the best idea because then you will get to grips with shelf lives and how much you go through.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to do! I lived alone for five years and threw away things often. It is so disappointing. I think the best idea is not to plan a list of groceries to buy, but to plan specifically what you're going to eat and buy the items you need for those meals and snacks.

Obviously things like almonds, frozen or canned produce, and condiments will be fine for a month or so. I try not to buy perishable items until I know how and when I'm going to use it. If I buy lettuce, I've decided that I'm going to have a salad for lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday and Friday and that I need to buy exactly what I want on my salad for the week. If I buy lunch meat, it's because I've decided to have a turkey sandwich on Monday or ham in my scrambled eggs on Saturday.

I often wait to decide on supplemental fruits and vegetables (for snacks, or salads) until I'm at the store and I see what's on sale.

I realize this sounds like a very regimented routine, but in practice it really isn't. I never stick to my plan, but I always start with an idea so I don't overbuy things that are perishable. Often, I eat the same thing multiple times in a week and then switch it up the next.
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    Your guys' advice is really helpful. I suppose I'll need to stick with frozen produce for the most part, and indulge in a few fresh items (a squash, a big sweet potato, or asparagus) just once per week. I go through a lot of lettuce, though. And I think that the less expensive deli meats and canned/frozen fish should keep prices in line, too, though I always have problems with cheese. I like just a bit of feta or ricotta with salads or vegetables and meats, so I'm never sure how to keep those fresh? I use cheese basically daily, just only in small amounts each time.

I am fine with a "regimented routine," though, and having the same things regularly. For example, every day, I have Greek yogurt with some honey and berries on top. For lunch, I almost invariably have a soup or a salad.